Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knows the correct headlamp(s) for a '46 Chief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows the correct headlamp(s) for a '46 Chief?

My headlamp is not a Motolamp, it has no markings on it at all. Yet it appears to be as old as the bike. It's a sealed beam bucket with oval hole for the wire exit in front of the mounting stud. So I am curious if anybody knows if Indian used a different headlamp supplier in 1946 for their sealed beam units?

I've picked up a Motolamp bucket, and a friend would like it. If I can determine if my current headlamp is correct then I'll keep it on there and let the Motolamp bucket go, otherwise I'll get the Motolamp going (that's not going to be cheap I'll tell ya!)

Indian experts, chime in if you can... thanks!

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

That is not the correct light for a 46. You can though put a sealed beam bulb in the Correct Motolamp without much trouble.
    http://laughingindian.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

The correct headlight for a 1946 Chief is a MOTOLAMP with bakelite connector block for the cables and a separate reflector (without position light) and Motolamp glas. The sealed beam was originally not used in these Motolamps, but can be used. Sealed beams were used on 1941-42 and 1948-53 Chief.
      Your headlight shell looks like a late type but these had a conncetor block too as far as I know and this type of bezel was mainly used on the earlier Sealed Beam lights as far as I know from looking in original litarature and bikes.

Comment

Harry, I have a 6 volt sealed beam element in my Motolamp shell. Personally, I wouldn't go back to the correct bulb and reflector set-up because it was nothing but trouble for me (consistantly blowing bulbs) and the light was poor at night. The sealed beam is much brighter, and seems to be more stable. I consider my Chief a rider so I want it to perform as well as look very correct. The sealed beam is a small consession to a proper 1940 Chief.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks fellas! I don't know where I got the idea that sealed beam lamps in 1946 were a Chief option, I'm sure I read it somewhere but I can't locate it when I need it! Oh well, I purchased this shell thinking that Motolamp was THE correct unit to have on a 1946 Chief... and now I have my answer! Thanks again for the replies and I hope all have a nice Holiday Season!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

there ya go Harry now I am on the hunt for one since you need it!

Comment

Working...
            X