Leaf Spring front Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Spring front Suspension

Is there any 'spec. for the number of leaves on the front spring of the prewar ('38 in this case) Chief?

I've seen pictures that are anywhere from a single sided pack of about 7 leaves up to a big double-sided pack (leaves both above and below the main leaf) with as many as 12 leaves. Seen the same variance on pictures of Four's... though most of them seem to have a bigger double-sided pack, which would make sense for heavier bike?

Were the number of leaves irrelevant, but a poundage specification supplied? Did people adjust according to whether they wanted firm/soft ride? Or add leaves as the leaves fatigued (instead of re-arching?)

What's the method for setting these up right? My guess is that a correct front spring setup is really, really critical to making one of these bikes handle at their best.

On vintage cars, leaf-spring suspensions are one of the things we spend a lot of time getting right. Grinding springs, getting shackle bushings fitting perfectly, lots of lubricant, setting the arch and deflection right. It makes a huge difference in how the car runs on the road. They don't all ride like buckboards. My instinct is that these leaf spring front ends are even more sensitive to wear, fatigue, rust smacking (rust growing between leaves), galling, etc. than cars...

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a 36 Chief and it has 9 leaves and was told by Bob Markey that is 3 more than standard. Too me it handles fine but since it is the only Indian I have and have not ridden others I really can't say for sure. I looked in Jerry Hatfield's book on Indian Restoration and see varying different set ups but it looks like each model was different. I suppose it's sort of like the friction ride control adjustments on HD's. Find what feels good and go with it. You are far more knowledgable than me on this spring thing so I'm happy if it goes down the road and I don't get bounced off or end up in a ditch. But this is a great question and I will interested to see others responses.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA # 12766

Comment

I've always thought my '40 Chief handled great, even before I re-arced the spring pack. From my experience, I believe any leaf spring Indian will out handle any comparable year H-D, even into early Hydra-Glides. I have heard that girder Indian forks can be problematic due to bushing, and shaft wear but I don't have much personal experience with that vintage. I think there are other factors that make leaf spring Indians so nice handling but I'm no expert. My opinions are seat of the pants.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Hard to compare handling even though I have both.I like the leaf springer handling but I think its more likely the rigid frame that makes the biggest difference.never rode a 40.
        As far as bushings and shafts on the girder,my experience they will go more miles between service for wear than the rocker pins and bushings and lower link bushings on the leaf,not to mention the common wobbled holes for the pins that require welding and machining to repair.
        Tom

Comment

Working...
        X