Looking for 48 Pics of High AMCA Scoring Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 48 Pics of High AMCA Scoring Bike

Does anyone have or know where I can get detailed pictures of a 1948 AMCA judged 95 point plus bike? Goal is NOT targeting my bike for judging but rather if I service any portion of the bike for maintenance, I would like to make it as authentically correct as possible when putting it back together.

I will eventually get Jerry Hatfields resto book but having scraped the crust from the bottom of the bank account to purchase the bike, right now any money spent needs to be on reliability improvements; therefore, can't justify $60 for the book right now.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Buy Bruce Palmer's restoration book. I don't care how broke you are, it will be the best investment you can make if you want your bike to be as correct as possible.

SORRY, SKIRTED, I DIDN'T NOTICE WHAT CATEGORY YOUR POST WAS IN. Still, a good resto manual would be your best investment.
    Last edited by jwl; 11-13-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Toney Watson was one of the most respected Indian gurus; and every bike he restored was very correct. When I did my '48 Chief, he recommended using the 2 photos in the "Repair & Overhaul Maunual 74". There are full page (unretouched) factory photos of the left and right side of the motor area. You can easily see the finishes on nuts, bolts, and fittings as well as how plumbing, and wiring was routed. Aside from that, it's a must have book for working on your Chief. I'm sure all the big Indian suppliers carry the book in reprint but I know some of the reprints are of poor quality. Maybe if you ask around, you can get a good resolution copy.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Skirted, try this link

http://www.kiwiindian.com/gallery/48-%20ref_images/

Comment

Originally posted by Greg H View Post
          Thats exactly what I was looking for Greg! Dang, I checked Kiwi's site and the others but somehow looked over the link to reference pics.

Thanks all for the replies and still interested in others if they are out there.
          Jason Zerbini

Comment

I'm surprised nobody suggested the obvious. Go to amca meets and make sure to attend judging. That's what I did to learn when I restored my 46 chief. That and talk to as many Indian guys as I could find to listen to my questions. And compare the results to the hatfield books. And look at original machines. It will take a bit of detective work, but, the search for the truth can be as much fun as the hunt for the bike...
            A. Bernhardt
            AMCA# 9726

Comment

Originally posted by bernhardt View Post
              I'm surprised nobody suggested the obvious. Go to amca meets and make sure to attend judging. That's what I did to learn when I restored my 46 chief. That and talk to as many Indian guys as I could find to listen to my questions. And compare the results to the hatfield books. And look at original machines. It will take a bit of detective work, but, the search for the truth can be as much fun as the hunt for the bike...
              Thats a good suggestion Alex and agree nothing better than seeing in person and talking to people. I did go to Jefferson for my initiation but there were no correct high end 48s there and I didn't have my bike at that time. I do plan to attend meets next year but need a little short term/immediate relief assistence until I get manuals purchased and more experience at AMCA meets.
              Jason Zerbini

Comment

join the allegheny mountain chapter, there are some nice indians an owners there, right in your area

Comment

Working...
                X