'38 Chief... followed me home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '38 Chief... followed me home.

Oops, I did it again. This time a '38 Chief! It's got a '46 motor in it now and incorrect wheel rims, but no repop parts or sheetmetal. All the 'restoration' work was done in the '70s well before the repop stuff was common.

And the good news is that the cases and bottom end for the original motor were with it... so I'll build up an original motor eventually. Already have a couple of rims and a spoke kit on order... so if anyone needs a couple of 16" rims/tires for a later Chief, let me know! I am going back to 18" rims for sure.

Here's some pictures:

indian 2.jpg

indian 1.jpg

indian 3.jpg

indian 4.jpg

indian 5.jpg

It's not AMCA perfect, but is running and riding nicely. And very presentable as it is. Main priorities are the wheels and tires to start. I'll likely do the engine over the summer and put it in next winter. Not sure about the paint... but I really want to do it in deep Indian Red w. gold Indian logo. Somehow that just seems to be 'right' for this machine!

Never thought I would own a Chief. Always wanted one, but figured they had gotten out of reach. To get a rigid prewar... leaf spring... Christmas came early!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Enjoy it. Nice looking aquisition. Have fun with your search for the correct parts. Ride it as is until the correct parts are in hand and have fun.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Rigid prewar Chiefs rule!! Good score! I know a fella that has a '39 with a late model '40's powerplant. I think it happens a bit. The fact that you got the original cases with it is a bonus! I hope you get heaps of smiles per mile with that motorsickle!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Congratulations! I tried to buy a '38 Chief basket case for 17 years. The owner had it since the early 50s, caught it on fire around 1960, tore it all down then never touched it again. I pestered him for 15 years, he died, then I pestered his widow for 2 years.. she agreed to sell it to me and suddenly her son decided he wanted it...... so yes, I am jealous but happy for you. Glad you were able to land it. Did you know about it for a while or come upon it recently?
        Mike Carver
        AMCA #3349

Comment

Hi Mike:

Been looking for a Chief for a while, but none of the ones I looked at 'spoke to me' as it were. I found this one at Jefferson, actually. Sitting in an upper corner booth with some other bikes/parts from not too far away. Got some info from the owner and we kept up an e-mail conversation. I committed to buy it (as long as it was as I had seen it at Jefferson) about a month ago, but had to find time to go up and get it! In the interim, he had come up with motor bottom end for me and we worked out a good price.

I am very excited about it. It's a very neat machine and my first Indian. After admiring them from 'afar' for so long, it's great to have one to ride now! Of course this means it will snow...

FYI, for all you Yankee Region (or area) members, looks like we are going to try and host a ride weekend/tour in Mid-May up here in VT. I agreed to organize one and have sent the initial plan to Dan Margolian. It will be a fantastic weekend with multiple rides, a Pig Pickin, and probably a trip to the Shelburne Museum. Put on your calendar for May 17 - 19th. I'll post the whole agenda and ride schedule here as soon as it's approved and finalized.

I plan to have the Chief ready to ride at that!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Congratulations Sirhr! I was wondering when you were going to go pickup that 38! Amazing you got the original bottom end as well. I'm afraid you are going to be hooked on Indians now.

Though the 46-48s are my personal favorite, in the short time I've been exposed to other years, I have to say I like the late 30s machines now every bit as much.

Look forward to seeing the progress!
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

BTW, anyone deal with Castleland parts for Indian? They have a big eBay store. I am starting to think about what I will need to build up the cases... jugs, heads, cams, etc.etc.etc. They have cylinder sets, etc. But prices seem to be kind of lower than what I am used to for HD stuff. Maybe that's the nature of the beast... but I don't want to buy junk, either. I am ok w. repro parts at times... if they are top quality. Somehow I think finding a pair of original jugs in great shape may be difficult, but perhaps the Chief guys here can pass on some advice.

Again, this is my first venture into a new Marque, so am learning as I go!

Oh, I can cannibalize the engine that is in the bike, but it seems silly to do so. Why take a perfectly good running motor when I can build one from parts given patience and some research?

Can folks list their favorite/preferred sources of parts? Who is GTG and who to avoid?

Also going to be looking for a rear stand (and clip).

Last, I'd like to have a seat pan that I can get re-covered. Not crazy about the seat that's on there, but it's too nice to redo.

I'm not going to put a rack or bags on this. Hate to cover up that beautiful rear fender!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr,

Nice find!

Tom McDonald has a '38 rear cylinder up on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDIAN-MOTOR...item5aeb3b7c0e

Good luck with your parts hunt.

dkgoz

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                  Enjoy it. Nice looking aquisition. Have fun with your search for the correct parts. Ride it as is until the correct parts are in hand and have fun.
                  As this is your first Indian: avoid de-commissioning it AT ALL COST!
                  Go for the 18" wheels like you said, but consider keeping the 16's until you're satisfied with the 18's. Seat, okay, but this thing's a road run piece!
                  Enjoy it! Think of the fun you'd miss while it's in pieces!
                  btw, the paint's perfect for a road run, too.
                  Your acid test will be the correct 38 power plant. Pass that, and check back in for more inspiration, or reality checks.

Comment

Phil"

100 percent with you!!! That's why I want to do the engine so that I can swap it over.

For wheels, we are heading into Vermont winter here. I can take the wheels off one at a time and re-string w.out losing any riding.

For seat, I can live with what's there...

Paint is good for a rider. But I would like to improve it. Again, that's what a Vermont winter is for. It won't be on the road until April even under best circumstances. That said, it isn't going to come to pieces.

Powerplant should not be a problem. I am thinking that if I can get one built over the next 18 months, I'll have it in for summer 2014. But there is no need or no rush. Just a 'want.'

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                      Can folks list their favorite/preferred sources of parts? Who is GTG and who to avoid?
                      If your only option is to purchase new, I think Jerry Greer's is a good choice.

Way to go, very nice Chief! Any chance those cases are original to the bike?
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
                      X