1938 Chief graphics/paint/color schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 Chief graphics/paint/color schemes

Looks like if all the planets align, tomorrow I will be the proud owner of my first Indian... A Chief 74, 1938 Rigid. I always wanted a "Skirted" Chief, because visually they are the most representative of the breed (in my eyes). But in the end, I wanted leaf front suspension, rigid frame and prewar bike more than skirted fenders and postwar suspension.

Bike is in nice shape and running sweetly. But paint is old and faded. Sort of a semi-well-done 1970's paint job in two-tone brown. Not my favorite.. Lots of gas damage. It needs a refresh. Also has 16" fatty tires on it, so I'll re-string the wheels to 18", which I think will run much better on that machine.

Wondering what the best references are for graphics? Did they use a decal, or was the 'indian head' painted on? FYI, I am planning to repaint the sheetmetal in deep red. Matching a deep Indian Red is no problem... and if I am going to have only one Indian, it needs to be red! But certainly interested in finding out more about the details of the paint work than I have now. There are some 200 books on H-D on my shelves. But only one on Indian... need to expand my library, methinks.

I have 'The Iron Redskin' and it lists paint colors for the era, including a solid deep red. I also have seen a lot of very vivid paint schemes on the Indians from that era, too. Two-tones. Some pretty wild colors, etc. Anything to sell bikes in the Depression! Were the 'red' bikes a rarity or do people just gravitate towards the more vivid schemes in restoration these days?

Last, when did the skirted fenders come in on the Chief? I have seen pictures of Four's with skirted fenders and leaf front springs. And I think the Sport Scout had skirted fenders before 1938... I gather from The Iron Redskin that it was 1939 or 40 that the skirted fenders came in on the Chief, but the technical details there are a bit thin. Doubt I can 'have my cake and eat it too' with skirted fenders on a '38, but thought I would ask those who know. I know I could make a set fit, but if they were not available in '38, I won't go that route.

I'll post pictures tomorrow night when I get it home!

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 11-09-2012, 06:47 AM.

Skirted fenders in 40 and up. I believe Du-Pont still had control of Indian and any Du Pont color that was availible could be special ordered. I have 2 skirted Indians and still love the look of the 38-39 Chiefs and Fours. Missed out on an original paint 38 Four and to this day wish I hadn't.
    Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 11-09-2012, 08:03 AM.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

The multi-colored Indian head decal was introduced for 1938, but the simpler (and nicer) gold Indian head was optionally available. Indian did not offer skirted fenders on any model until 1940. I know this because I have all of Jerry Hatfield's Indian books. I don't know if his books are still in print but if you have an Indian, his books are invaluable.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Another great source for literature is: 'www.acenturyofmotorcycling.com'

This is a huge collection of Indian literature that has been reprinted by Butch Baer and sons. A bit pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          I know this because I have all of Jerry Hatfield's Indian books. I don't know if his books are still in print but if you have an Indian, his books are invaluable.
          Eric's right, but I suggest seeing if you can find the Restoration Guide, used, in its original printing. You can still purchase them new, but they're duplicated and some of the downgraded resolution of the photos doesn't show the particular detail that Jerry Hatfield is pointing out... you've got to use your imagination, and much of the book relies heavily on the photos.

Hope that works out for you and you wind up an Indian owner!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

do what you like who cares what anyone thinks thats what I did

Comment

exeric I like Jerrys book but he seems to have gone the easy route to me. I would love a whole bike year to year I understand that is a huge undertaking. If I knew my bike was "perfect" I would do a 47 book.

Comment

The Butch Baer reprints would be excellent for you phillie. They offer the full year of Indian News for 1947. I got the full 1940 year as a reference for my '40 Chief and I get lost in that book every time I pick it up. There is nothing more informative than seeing real world pictures of your year bike in the setting of the year it was made.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks to the miracle of ABEbooks.com, I have a a pile of books coming. Thanks for the advice! All will be helpful! Bookstores are almost as dangerous as motorcycle swap meets...

Phillie... I've thought about putting skirted fenders on, but my trade-off for leaf springs and rigid was no skirted fenders. I am happy with my choice! Guess I'll just have to get a skirted Scout ;-)

I am pretty sure I saw the "Century of Motorcycling" guys at Jefferson. But lost their card. I will visit the site! Thanks!

Tomorrow, I hope to post some pictures.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                    Tomorrow, I hope to post some pictures.

Cheers,

Sirhr
                    I'm itchin' to see 'em Sirhr... The late '30's Chiefs are near the top of my favorites!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Nice , just google 38 chief select images.

Red Fred done a 38 orange/brown green pinstriping, only time gold not used on factory colors

Comment

exeric I have Butch's 47 book it is awesome, helped me a lot.

Comment

This website has some info. for '38 and lots of other great stuff if you look around. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mc...fers_for_1938/

Comment

Working...
                          X