X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Lower Triple Tree Question

Hello,

I am in the process of putting my 1947 Chief back together. I have a
    reproduction lower triple tree, and noticed that the dowell pin for the damper
    plate is on the left side of the triple tree. This would put the damper connection on the left side of the bike. Does this matter? The originals
    I have seen have the damper connection on the right side of the bike.

Thank you, and take care,

Steve Bryson

Originally posted by stbryson View Post
    Hello,
    I have a reproduction lower triple tree, and noticed that the dowell pin for the damper
    plate is on the left side of the triple tree. This would put the damper connection on the left side of the bike. Does this matter? The originals
    I have seen have the damper connection on the right side of the bike.
    Steve, I've only seen them on the RH side, too. They probably don't give those things away, what does the vendor that sold it to you have to say?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
      Steve, I've only seen them on the RH side, too. They probably don't give those things away, what does the vendor that sold it to you have to say?
      Hello pisten-bulley,

I bought the lower triple tree from Starklite Cycle, and had them ream the bushings. The catalog lists it as an exact reproduction casting of the stem and crown, and the location of the dowel pin is the only difference from an original that I see. The casting boss (not sure if that is the right term) for the location of the dowel pin is on the left side, so it wasn't a case of the hole for the dowel pin being drilled in the wrong location.

I haven't checked with Starklite, but I haven't had any problems with any of the parts I have bought from them.

It's probably not a big deal, but I am a newby, and thought I had better ask. I only noticed it after I had test-fitted the lower triple tree with the dowel pin facing the right, and then noticed that the cast-in stops were pointing to the front instead of the rear.

Take care,

Steve Bryson

Comment

Originally posted by stbryson View Post
        It's probably not a big deal
        Steve, I think you've figured out that functionality won't be a problem, but since we're on the AMCA site I'd be curious to hear from someone as to whether or not a bike that was being judged would receive a deduction for something like that?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
        X