46 chief damper handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 chief damper handle

Hi guys had a mishap the other day on my 46 chief . The bike fell over and clipped the crash bars on the bike next to it shearing off the steering damper handle. So the knob that you use to adjust sheared off. You can see the just the top of the 3/8 's bolt showing maybe a thread or two were the jam nut is in the neck. Part of the female collar from the handle is still in their to . My questionis how do i disassemble can i un thread it from the bottom damper spindle and push the long bolt up and slip a new one in or am going to have to take it all apart Big Mike

Originally posted by bigmikecar View Post
    My questionis how do i disassemble can i un thread it from the bottom damper spindle and push the long bolt up and slip a new one in or am going to have to take it all apart
    Big Mike, I think that's a pretty easy fix, but you can't take off the bottom damper spindle without removing the shackle bolt because the shackle bolt goes through the spindle. The damper handle that you broke, I couldn't find anybody who supplied only the black round handle so it came with the new handle already threaded onto the long bolt that goes through the steering head and threads into the damper spindle at the bottom. Bottom line, if you remove the damper handle and bolt from the top then you can put the new one back in, I don't think it was difficult to get the threads started inside the steering head even though they're about 8 inches down in there.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

46 steering damper handle

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
      Big Mike, I think that's a pretty easy fix, but you can't take off the bottom damper spindle without removing the shackle bolt because the shackle bolt goes through the spindle. The damper handle that you broke, I couldn't find anybody who supplied only the black round handle so it came with the new handle already threaded onto the long bolt that goes through the steering head and threads into the damper spindle at the bottom. Bottom line, if you remove the damper handle and bolt from the top then you can put the new one back in, I don't think it was difficult to get the threads started inside the steering head even though they're about 8 inches down in there.
      Thanks for your reply the only problem with removing from the top is the bolt is flush with the neck on frame not enough sticking up to get a bite on it to thread out . Big mike

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecar View Post
        Thanks for your reply the only problem with removing from the top is the bolt is flush with the neck on frame not enough sticking up to get a bite on it to thread out . Big mike
        How about drilling the stub of the broken bolt and using an easy-out? If that works then it'll be a whole lot easier than dis-assembling the bottom shackle.
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
          How about drilling the stub of the broken bolt and using an easy-out? If that works then it'll be a whole lot easier than dis-assembling the bottom shackle.
          The welder's trick is to weld a nut on to the exposed hardware .. if you dare. Must cover things with fire blanket, etc.

I never liked those damper handles. Mine was only half there, and I cut it off, left enough to grip with pliers (I advocate pliers). One can adjust the handle bars further away from the ig switch too! .. and those nos switches are not worth the price either, get a cheater, $20 hd off ebay!!

Comment

48 chief damper handle

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
            The welder's trick is to weld a nut on to the exposed hardware .. if you dare. Must cover things with fire blanket, etc.

I never liked those damper handles. Mine was only half there, and I cut it off, left enough to grip with pliers (I advocate pliers). One can adjust the handle bars further away from the ig switch too! .. and those nos switches are not worth the price either, get a cheater, $20 hd off ebay!!
            Thanks guys for your replies ! Took the drill and easy out method worked like a charm Thanks Again Big Mike

Comment

The dampner knob is molded directly to the stud that threads into the lower spindle.

We make an exact reproduction of the knob and stem.

Click Here for Picture

Sincerely,
              Gary Stark
              Starklite Cycle

Comment

Working...
              X