Charging System Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging System Testing

I've been venturing out a little further each ride as confidence builds in the newly aquired 48's reliabilty. So far so good but I am concerned whether the charging system is functioning to avoid being stranded with a dead battery.

It appears the bike has the original generator and mechanical regulator. I understand it is wise to upgrade/modernize these items but for the short riding season we have left in PA, I'd just like to verify if what I have is functioning.

I know I can keep the battery on a charger as a fail safe but for peace of mind I'd rather determine the condition of the current charging system. Searches I did turn up upgrade info but couldn't find a specific functional test of an original system. Any help with a test method is appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Get a digital multimeter, and set it to check dc voltage. Your 6v battery sitting there with the bike off should read just over 6 volts like 6.025 for example. Then start the bike and check the battery with the motor running....you should get 6.350 or more at idle, and with the motor revved, as much as 6.900 or 7 volts. If you got that, go riding and don't worry about it.

Comment

Thanks - Thats exactly what I was looking for.
      Jason Zerbini

Comment

If unsure of third brush setting keep eye on water level in battery,also digital meters don't work on mag motors.

Comment

Why would he be concerned about being stranded with a dead battery on a magneto bike? Jason, ride it like you stole it!

Comment

It was about information for all not just his bike.

Comment

No magneto on this bike.
              I'm getting about 6.3 volts at idle. Mid RPM it squeeks out 6.4. As I run it wth the lights on they keep getting dimmer and dimmer as the miles go by and do not get brighter with rpm so the genny needs some attention. The gen light on the console goes out when its starts so it must be putting out just enough for that.
              Jason Zerbini

Comment

Jason, If you plan to ride after dark you might consider shopping for a few items over the Winter: 12 volt Cycle Electric generator, 12 volt coil, 7" Bosch H-4 headlight to fit your bucket, LED tower-type tail light bulb and 12volt bulb for your speedometer. You can store the original parts for historical purposes.

Comment

Also buy the best 12 volt battery you can fit in the common battery-box. Yuasa is good, Shorai might be better.

If Shorai lasts long enough to justify the additional cost remains to be seen, we've installed several this year and results have been excellent.

Comment

Working...
                  X