Prep for running an older bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prep for running an older bike?

What do you do, or have done to get your older bike running with todays fuels and oils?
    What octane rating do you use?
    Do you use a lead additive?
    Any gas treatments?
    Synthetic oil?
    In the tank oil filter?
    Electronic points?

Just preping for when I find THE bike. So any advice would be appreciated.
    Rob W.
    Northeast Ohio.

24 Big Chief
    37 Chief
    48 Chief
    08 Vision
    12 S1000RR
    13 Cross Country

Probably the first thing to do is clean out the carb and replace the float with one from Cotten or Rubber Ducky. They will work with modern fuels. I use valvoline racing oil in my pan, but I'm sure there are many opinions on that...
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

Howdy Rob,

Assume your post in Chief section indicates that's what this would apply to, therefore, stock machine, typical vintage use:

Octane: lowest
      Lead Additive: no, these iron valve seats have pretty much work hardened themselves by now.
      Gas Treatments: no, some like a little Marvel Mystery oil with Fours though. Of more concern is Read Vapor Pressure dictated by the EPA to reduce evaporation at the gas pump. This can make for difficult cold starting on vintage machines, thankfully Chiefs not afflicted....but Fours are another story.
      Synthetic oil: no, these machines run so dirty and at cool oil temps the oil saturates with impurities before it breaks down, what you want is ZDDP to protect these flat tappet motors and readily available source is Valvoline 20-50W racing.
      In the tank oil filter: Yes, Kiwi's is nice, supplemented with some small ring magnets on a wire dropped in the tank and/or a magnet sump plug. Full flow oil filters are bit over kill, see comments on filth above.
      Electronic points: Excellent device, all of my Indians have it, sourced from Rock Halter made by Clyde Crouch. Click here to view install on my 46. Please note, standard point ignitions on a low comp motor will work to lower voltage values than electronics that start operating erratically at about 5.75V and cut out completely below that.

You didn't mention charging system improvements which are even more important than ignition with these machines as pre-48's used cutouts and even the post 48 machines retained 3 brush operation with a mechanical regulator. You'll want to look into a 2 brush conversion (easily done even with the genie in the frame) and fitment of an electronic regulator of which this is a PODtronic adapted to my 48. Plug-and-play conversions are advertised in the club magazine.
      Last edited by PRG; 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

PRG,

Thanks for the information.
        I will be aquiring my 48 chief soon and wanted to get ready for its arrival.

Wher can I get the electronic points from? Looking for a good source for such parts.
        I was also looking at the recent mag and saw the Cycle Electric generators with built in regulator. Any opinions on this part?

Thanks
        Rob
        Rob W.
        Northeast Ohio.

24 Big Chief
        37 Chief
        48 Chief
        08 Vision
        12 S1000RR
        13 Cross Country

Comment

Rob!

Welcome to the nightmare.

Please be aware that CE offers fine generators WITHOUT the incredibly ugly end-mount regulators.
          Their exquisite rectangular regulators are also fine, and easily hidden beneath the mag deck.
          I have the original CE prototype for my '34.
          But next time I shall consult IndianFrank@yahoo.com first.

Please be aware also that there is a difference between Moldthread's fine Rubber Ducky and Liberty's DURABLE float.
          They are not of the same material.
          If all fuels were the same, it would not matter.

In general, Rob,

You shall have many super-modern up-date-improvements to choose from.
          But if you play the odds, penny for penny, you will preserve your investment best by staying as close to authentic, original design, real hardware if you possibly can....

Even when it is inferior!

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten.
            just checking out options.
            Rob W.
            Northeast Ohio.

24 Big Chief
            37 Chief
            48 Chief
            08 Vision
            12 S1000RR
            13 Cross Country

Comment