1946 High Output Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 High Output Generator

My '46 has the optional High Output Generator with a regulator. What is the difference between this one and a standard generator? Output in Amps?
    How do I know if mine is putting out any juice? When running, the Ampere Gage show a slight motion of (+) charging. If I run the headlight the Ampere Gage shows quite a bit of charging...like +10 or more (while running). But after every short ride I have to recharge the battery for about an hour with a 2/6 Amp, 6/12V charger. The trickle charger just doesn't do it the job.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

-Mark

You didnt mention type of bike ,and you probably already know typical amp gauge wiring will show not the output of the generator,but what is coming or going to the battery,or the differance between gen.output,and system load.What does gauge show when you turn on lights when not running?If its 10+ amp g is wired backwards.
    Tom

Comment

I have a 1946 Chief.

With the motor off, I turned on the headlight and the ammeter showed it was charging. I will switch the connections. To test if the generator is working could I have the headlight on with the bike running and see if the headlight burns a little brighter if the engine is revved?

Comment

With engine running if you turn on lights ammeter should move from dis towards zero or charge as rpms are increased.Indians use gen case to bracket to frame for ground.Poor ground often caused by paint on new bracket and frame.Clean contact area or run separate ground wire from case to frame.
        Tom

Comment

Working...
        X