Police motorcycle frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police motorcycle frame

In the last AMCA magazine, there was a picture of a '48 Police Chief. It said that it was obviously a police model because of the frame. What differences were there between a civilian frame and a police frame??

I've never heard of a police frame. I looked in my parts books, and Jerry Hatfield's books and saw no reference to a special frame. I would be curious to hear what a post war Indian expert has to say.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

IMG_20120916_103646.jpg
      Here is the info on the special police frame. I think Jerry Hatfield got it into the notes of the 2nd edition of the restoration guide, but I will have to double check. I have one, but mine is a '51, not a '48.

Comment

Thanks Bill, very interesting stuff.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

The information posted about the frame was for 51-52 and was from the Indian EPL. Not appropriate for 48. The 48 frame was stock. It was the accessories that made the difference. Many police departments also had specific things on their rfp's, like heavy duty spokes, etc. The New York City Police Department [PDNYC at the time] generally did not have Indian on the tank, but instead PDNYC. No roadmaster plaque on later bikes. Used Pyrene fire extinguishers, used GE sealed beam red spot lights in Unity housings, which varied depending on year, thicker padding on seats, cheapest headlight [motolamp] possible until they were no longer available [51-52], etc, but the frame was the same. PDNYC used keyless ignition as a rule. Minimum chrome on police bikes as a ruleThere was a mod kit available for 51 to change to the 52 style fender that allowed the large 45 amp battery [not the same 45 amp battery as the 841], which used a different battery tray and fender. This was stock for 52-53. Then, there were many departments that used a stock off the fllor Indian chief. Hope this helps eric. Marty

Comment

Working...
          X