48 - What Is This Hole From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 - What Is This Hole From?

Looking at a 48 that so far is vetting out as a worthy candidate. I noticed this hole between the battery and toolbox that doesn't look factory. Some other pics I have of 48s, there is a smaller rubber grommet in this area with a cable going through but the hole isn't this big.

Also noticed a couple fins that are damaged on the head. Assuming the bike is priced reasonably and has many other attractive features, should this defect have any measureable impact on price if the rest of the bike is straight? In other words should it be a negotiating tool? Or no big deal? I assume these can be repaired?

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Skirted; 09-15-2012, 06:26 AM.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Looks like siren?
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I think those flaws are a good negotiating tool. There is a fair amount of work there, and unless you want to do the work yourself, you'll need the skills of a welder, and fabricator. It's not a big deal as far as difficulty to repair, or performance, but those flaws will nag at you. I had a '48 Chief that I very much liked. If you get the bike, we expect to see a lot of pictures.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I think those flaws are a good negotiating tool. There is a fair amount of work there, and unless you want to do the work yourself, you'll need the skills of a welder, and fabricator. It's not a big deal as far as difficulty to repair, or performance, but those flaws will nag at you. I had a '48 Chief that I very much liked. If you get the bike, we expect to see a lot of pictures.
        Thanks Eric - By the way, I noticed you have a pretty low AMCA No! How long have you been a member?

The hole in fender doesn't concern me much as I have plenty of sheet metal repair experience but was wondering if the hole was consistent with some option, or perhaps old modification. The aluminum fins on the other hand I'd have to farm out to a TIG welding expert. Probably wouldn't worry about those for a couple years though if and/or when I'd decide to have it judged.
        Don't worry - I'll post pics if the deal works out. At this point I'm trying to buffer my excitement because this 48 has potential to be one of those finds that don't come along too often. Seller agreed to send the bike to the shop for a tune up so once that is done to my satisfaction we'll be hooking up the trailer for a long road trip.
        Jason Zerbini

Comment

As Bob Luland pointed out, the hole in the fender looks like where a foot-operated police siren was installed.
          Is it possible the motorcycle was a police model?

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
            As Bob Luland pointed out, the hole in the fender looks like where a foot-operated police siren was installed.
            47's and earlier had rear-drive speedometer, and it looks (referring to tool box half-moon in flange) like this fender is notched a little largely for cable grommet. ... I never had a speedo, too spendy, so I'm not sure how big that hole is supposed to be, for a 47, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
              Well, the seller has some documentation back to when new but hasn't said anything about it being a police model but anything is possible I suppose. Anyone got a pic in their archives of one of those sirens?
              Jason Zerbini

Comment

On page 31 or our latest club magazine, there is a picture of a '48 police Chief. You can just make out the grill of a siren which looks like a H-D siren. I'm only speculating because I know nothing about sirens, but I would guess smaller police departments used what was on hand if they could make it fit. Sirens can be a lot of fun; maybe it would be less trouble to leave the hole and find a siren.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

It looks like the front part of the rear fender is Flat which would indicate a Larger Police battery or late model with a larger battery. I think!
                  http://laughingindian.com/
                  http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                  A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

My unrestored '47 has the rear drive speedo cable routed through that hole with a rubber grommet around it. Don't know if it was used for any other purposes.
                    Mike Carver
                    AMCA #3349

Comment

'47 Chief with hole in fender

Here's a pic of the speedo cable on my '47. Also, what are the extra holes in the top of the generator belt cover? This bike is new to me, only had it a couple of months and have not had time to do anything other than a brief amount of cleaning. Someone added the larger battery tray, did an ok job of tack welding it in place. I don't know if I'll remove it or leave it yet.

002.jpg
                      Mike Carver
                      AMCA #3349

Comment

Mike
                        the big one is so you can put a drop of oil in the generator once in a while, the other one was used on the 41-42 chief to help secure the fuse box panel

Originally posted by mcarver View Post
                        Here's a pic of the speedo cable on my '47. Also, what are the extra holes in the top of the generator belt cover? This bike is new to me, only had it a couple of months and have not had time to do anything other than a brief amount of cleaning. Someone added the larger battery tray, did an ok job of tack welding it in place. I don't know if I'll remove it or leave it yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9499[/ATTACH]
                        Kevin Valentine 13
                        EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

Realized the top generator guard went into 46 but always wondered when Indian quit fitting a fuse assembly to it. Pictured below is a rather high number, CDF5276 in OP, with one fitted.
                          Attached Files
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter
                          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
                          X