Grrrrr. I can't get my flywheels true.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
    I agree with this plight. Patience. Some take time, those fits ARE NOT consistent!
    Bill, just confirming (I re-read your earliest posts); you first checked the wheels' runout with a dial indicator or the outside face with the shaft on centers, rotating? and had .0005 runout on the dial? one at a time, pinion shaft with pinion wheel only, then drive shaft with drive wheel only?
    Yes, I check each wheel individually and had .0005 runout or less on them. When I put the wheels together, I can get the pinion to less than .0005 but the drive side the best I can manage is .0025. Maybe Mr. Cotten's lapping process is in order. I just did them by hand but the accuracy and amount of pressure would be much better using his method.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Bill!
      Phil too!

Put the hammer down slowly, and let us approach this calmly.

Preparation is everything, and hardware with sixty or more years of duress benefits from a little caress:
      http://virtualindian.org/10techfly.htm

Tapers can be corrected with a little patience.
      But the more they are hammered, the more difficult it will be.

...Cotten
      Sage advice indeed.
      I've read your treatise in VI, it's by far the most detailed explanation I have found on the subject. Thanks for sharing it.

Do you use the crankpin that you intend to use as the "lapping arbor" ?

Comment

Bill!

Whenever possible, I would cross-groove a spent crankpin or mainshaft for the lapp,
        and keep the new shafts pristine.

....Cotten
        PS: Please note that I use the past-tense, as I have been searching in earnest for years to find a pro to re-open Liberty's motor and chassis departments.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-12-2012, 08:39 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Update: Since all the prying and banging in the world wouldn't true up these wheels, I decided to use Mr. Cotten's method for lapping the tapers. I saw another method on You Tube but I liked this method better. (plus I didn't have a 1" collet for the mill)

I made a lapping arbor out of an old cankpin and ground some relief grooves into it.

lapping arbor 001.jpglapping arbor 002.jpg

Comment

The new lapping arbor fitted in the lathe. lapping arbor 003.jpg

Comment

lapping arbor 005.jpgThe wheel fitted up to the lapping tool. Does it look like it will work Mr. Cotten?

Comment

Bill!

This site is suddenly so screwed up that I can only view a thumbnail of your pic, and it took four attempts to reply,
                and that's on a Vista system on DSL.

If I disappear from this forum folks, it was not my choice.

....Cotten
                liberty@npoint.net
                AMCA #776

Comment

This website is not a problem for my computer system or internet connection.

Comment

Rooster!

I can only post photos from my WIN98 on dial-up.
                    Two different formats appear when i clicke 'manage attachments', and I never know which one will appear.
                    When I edited my last post in the intake thread to include photos, it duplicated the post, and then wouldn't give me the delete option. I couldn't even edit it to say "duplicated post deleted".
                    So I had to jump back to my wife's Vista and DSL to get the full delete option format.

The site will not allow the Vista to upload, nor even to drag-and-drop a previous upload.

Just clicking to the next thread can make it sit and spin for several minutes.
                    The dial-up is much, much quicker.

All other sites open like lightning for the DSL.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I can see now why you are so frustrated, Cotten.
                      I noticed that the 'web cahuna' was doing some upgrades here yesterday, I was hoping it might help with your issues.
                      But either way, please don't "disappear"...

Comment

May be before they put the " UP GRADES" on they should try them out. Because they don't work so good. Spell check, picture loading and many others.

Comment

Amazingly,

I am posting this from a second WIN98 PC on dial-up, an ancient Gateway with an ancient IE, that previously couldn't even browse the site except in long vertical strings of text.

Suddenly it works great,
                          and ten times faster than the Vista on DSL!

Back to topic,
                          Now I can see Bill's photo, and its enormous!
                          Everything looks great as I scroll over it millimeter by millimeter, but I chose a bronze bushing to go over the protruding pin, so that it would bear well upon the flywheel. If that's aluminum, please keep it anti-seized.

Just a reminder Folks: a lot of grief can be avoided by straightening and aligning each rebuilt rod before crank assembly, as Chief rods nearly always need a tweak, often to correct an offset.
                          Demagnatizing doesn't hurt either, which I believe was omitted in the VI discussion.

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

I didn't have any bronze handy so I went with the aluminum. I have about .010 clearance between the pin and the bushing. Do you recommend that be tighter?

Also on the subject of your computer problems with Vista, do you have an icon in the toolbar at the top of the page that looks like a sheet of paper torn in two. If so, click that and it might solve your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills37 View Post
                              I didn't have any bronze handy so I went with the aluminum. I have about .010 clearance between the pin and the bushing. Do you recommend that be tighter?

Also on the subject of your computer problems with Vista, do you have an icon in the toolbar at the top of the page that looks like a sheet of paper torn in two. If so, click that and it might solve your problems.
                              Bill!

I only expected the large bushing to press the flywheel squarely upon the spindle axis, I never considered the bore.
                              After all, I dealt with many different pin diameters.

And I see no un-identified icons anywhere other than those insipid emoticons below the text frame.
                              How many millions of collective hours of productivity has Western Civilization lost to opening such pointless frills as those?

And we worry about carbon.

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Hi Bill and Tom! been away, busy as hell, then the viking meet and dad's day, etd
                                haven't been to the vi yet, but I'm trying to sit at the front of the class, here.
                                Bill, can I get a better pic of the fixture of the flywheel approaching the chucked crankpin? I want to see how you ensured perpendicularity of the wheel to your crankpin.
                                Otherwise, I'm very jealous of your equipment. I'm still working with the old belt-drive stuff.
                                I like your lapping tool/old crankpin.

Comment

Working...
                                X