Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correction to 48 Lifter Pin Help posting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction to 48 Lifter Pin Help posting!

Howdy!,
    Sorry, but I got the problem wrong on my first posting!
    When we pulled the cams out of the motor the pin that the lifters run on is seemed to be loose. It turns out that it is the steel bushing pressed into the cases that is loose and wobbly, the pin fits tight in the bushing. I am not sure how to fix this. Can the bushing it be pulled out without splitting the cases? Then can we shim the bushing and press it back in?
    Thanks! and i am sorry for any confusion!

I get real leary about giving advice about this sort of stuff without accually having it infront of me. I wish someone else with a heck of alot more experience - would speak up.

Loctite or Permatex (green) sleeve retainer will set a bushing in place up to about .007. I think. I would split the cases in order to clean it properly.

I'd get a second opion. Anyone else?

Comment

The bushing should come out easily if already loose in case. Eastern Motorcycle Parts offers an oversize bushing or one could be made with little effort. The hard part of the repair will be to get a clean round hole in the case for the new bushing, depending on how wallered out the hole is now. I would try to find a straight chucking reamer of the right size. I believe the original hole size in the case was 11/16 or .6875 with the std bushing size being .690-.691 for the interference fit. The next available fractional size would be 45/64 which would be a little big. If the hole is not too bad a 17.5mm (.689) reamer would clean it up. If worse, I would shop around for a local machine job shop to see if they have an adjustable chucking reamer. (not blade type) Use an angle plate or a square fastened to cam cover gasket surface as a guide when reaming. I would think the repair could be made, including making a bushing in an hour or two. Sure beat having to remove the motor and tearing it all apart if everything else is OK. Kyle

Comment

Thank you Kyle,
        We will remove the bushing and see how bad the whole is in the case. If, I still had my lathe I would make a bushing...but we do have a good shop available that can tackle the problem.
        We better resolve it now, while we have a chance to fix it, and not risk any possible breakage of case, pin, or cam-followers, if we just ran it as is.
        Cheers, Patrice

Comment

Fixed it!

Thank you, for all your help and suggestions. We had the steel lifter pin bushing knurled and pressed it into the case. The trick (as explained by my friend Ken Edmiston) was to have a straight knurl applied, not a diamond pattern knurl. The straight knurl slices into the aluminum cases and holds tight. A diamond knurl would have enlarged the hole in the case by pushing the aluminum, and not held tight.
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X