Sportster Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Shocks

Hi guys. The early shocks on Sportsters if you are familiar with them had covers on them. The covers however did not extend the full length of the shock. At the bottoms of the shocks there was part of the shock exposed, there are two pieces interlocking if you know what I mean. Its hard for me to explain. Anyway if you think you know what I am talking about your help is appreciated. Ok my question is at the bottom are these pieces from the factory supposed to be chrome? The pair of shocks I have came off a 1961 Sportster, I have never known them to have been taking apart and my dad has had them since 1976. I want to use them on my 1957 Sportster and have taken them apart. These two bottom pieces are chrome.....but all the restorations I have seen they are not chrome. I have seen them a dull gray color, maybe spray paint, or maybe they were Cadmium? If anyone has any thoughts on this please respond.
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

The lower adjuster cams are cadium plated. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

The lower cups and cams are cadmium plated.
      Dave Swanson
      1956 FLH
      1969 FLH
      1964 XLCH
      1956 KHK
      1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Originally posted by Powerlifter626 View Post
        Hi guys. The early shocks on Sportsters if you are familiar with them had covers on them. The covers however did not extend the full length of the shock. At the bottoms of the shocks there was part of the shock exposed, there are two pieces interlocking if you know what I mean. Its hard for me to explain. Anyway if you think you know what I am talking about your help is appreciated. Ok my question is at the bottom are these pieces from the factory supposed to be chrome? The pair of shocks I have came off a 1961 Sportster, I have never known them to have been taking apart and my dad has had them since 1976. I want to use them on my 1957 Sportster and have taken them apart. These two bottom pieces are chrome.....but all the restorations I have seen they are not chrome. I have seen them a dull gray color, maybe spray paint, or maybe they were Cadmium? If anyone has any thoughts on this please respond.

Don't know what year you have, but the shocks run from 56-64, 65-66, and 67 on (I don't know much about the newer bikes but they stuck with these shocks for some time). All of the pre 67 shock cams are cad. The early ones, at least until 62, had parkerized hardward (shock studs and washers).

Those covers, by the way, are removeable. The early CH shocks are an inch longer than the XLH (14.5 vs 13.5 inches) but otherwise the same.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, what do you suggest I do? I needed to take the shocks apart because the lower cams and cups were chrome. They came off of a 1961 Sportster but I am using this pair on a 57 XL. Is it worth having these parts cadmium plated? If there is anyone out there that could do it? or is gray paint good enough? I want this to be as close to 100 point bike as I can get, although I am sure there will be a few points off, but that I will work on later.
          New York City
          1957 Sportster
          AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

It's well worth doing. Have the chrome stripped or bead blasted and cad over the nickel.

If you do paint them, use the Harley hi temp silver--much close to cad than any of the so-called cad paints and no primer is needed. It's a 70-something part number.

Comment

The factory Hi Temp Aluminum has a softer look than the Silver, try it.
              VPH-D

Comment

Thanks guys for the input, I'll try that.
                New York City
                1957 Sportster
                AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

I have painted the bottom of my shocks with that paint. And it looks ok, but now that I have some fresh cad on the bike, they stand out as painted. I'm taking them apart to plate this winter.

Comment

Working...
                  X