Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Internal Throttle

Hi Guys,

As you guys probably know the 1957 Sportster throttle was the "Push" type. The Spark advance however was the "Pull" type mounted on the left hand grip. I am curious if you used the left spiral on the right side as the throttle if this could be done. I am assembling my motorcycle and although I am a beginner I was wondering in the stock set up if you swaped them if this would work. I feel like the "Pull" throttle is more natural and probably much more comfortable to ride. Jeff you probably know something about this.
    New York City
    1957 Sportster
    AMCA Member# 9766

don't think about it as push and pull---look at the end of the spiral and think in terms of clockwise and counter clockwise. what does that tell you?

Comment

Powerlifter 626,
      The direction the throttle rotates is the same on all models , towards you to accelerate, away from you to slow down, just as any other bike. The wire movement has to do with the direction the spiral is cut. Do not attempt to change the direction of your throttle sleeve as it will no longer work with your carburetor. The factory combination is correct and the push or pull only refers to the direction of travel of the throttle lever on the carb!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rub is correct
        Jeff Bowles
        Arkansas
        Membership # 14023
        1957 Sportster

Comment

push and pull refers to which direction the cable moves when your rotate the grip counter-clockwise (toward you when on the bike). different carbs require push or pull to maintain the throttle working in a standard fashion. so you want the spiral that causes the throttle to open when you turn the grip counter-clockwise. this is pretty much the same thing that the other guys said.

Comment

I ride a 1966 XLCH It has left hand wire to retard spark CCW pulls MAG in CC goes to full advance. OEM is a Tillotsen witch wire pushes throttle open. Due to price of Tillotsen kits I changed to a 1971 Bendix. I changed slide to pull type
            Steve
            Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
            TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

Thanks guys for your advice. Makes more sense now. I was under the impression by "Push" it meant that in order to accelerate you would need to push the throttle sleeve away from you.
              New York City
              1957 Sportster
              AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

Working...
              X