Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1972 Sportster frame/chassis needed? please send pics, need help identifying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Sportster frame/chassis needed? please send pics, need help identifying.

I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to post a picture/s of a 1972 XLH 1000 Electric Start Sportster frame? I recently imported one from the US to me in England, It was a barn find and its very rough but had a great story which was independentlt confirmed as true. It was a great price I couldnt ignore, but the couple of pictures that were sent were badly lit and only from the front. but I was unaware until I received it that the bike has had a neck swap. Looks like a long time ago, but its not a quality job and I would like to replace it. Ive been into Pans & shovels for over 40-years for which I have good parts knowledge, but this is my first Sporty. Research is telling me that these frames seem to change a lot, so im not that confident what the neck area should look like, or what changes happened in what years. Im pretty confident the rest of the frame is untouched, but everything from the seat to the front engine mount has been replaced.
    If anyone has one for sale I am flying over to Bike Week in Florida, starting at the Sunshine Chapter swap meet, then visiting the various other swap meets in the area. I would be happy to look at any complete & unmolested ones with a view to buy? I'll also be looking for a stock 'Low Seat' too, 52019-70A or 52020-71 or a used good condition aftermarket seat that looks stock/ish?
    Its difficult to find somethig unless you know what it looks like, so any, and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The 1970-1972 frames were basically the same overall frames.
    • 1970-1971 frames were respective to either XLH or XLCH oil tank brackets etc.
    • The 1972 frame is universal as it has provisions for both XLH and XLCH models.
      • The bracket is there for the XLH oil tank on the right seat post but unused for XLCH.
      • The frame has 2 threaded holes under the seat casting for the XLCH oil tank bracket but unused for XLH.
      • The channel on the left seat post has threaded holes in the top and bottom for the each's battery tray.
        (lower only used for XLH, both used for XLCH)

You can check out frame information in the 'Sportsterpedia' here: http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:ih:body01

Here are pictures of my 72 XLCH, planning on converting to XLH.

IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 01-15-2024, 04:15 PM.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Thank you so much Joe!
      Thats brilliant information, and just what I needed to help find the correct one! Great pics.
      The Sportsterpedia detail is great. Thanks for the pointer.
      Im probably still unlikely to find an uncut one in the UK. But now when I get to Florida I will be armed with the right info' and know what to look for.
      Thanks again!

Grahame Maker.

Comment

Working...
      X