1952 K model Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 K model Details

I need to finish a '52 K Model that a friend on mine rebuilt the engine on and assembled most of the bike for me. I need a few parts and some detailed info that I haven't found in print (no Bruce Palmer Books on K Models).
    1st. What is the finish on the timer housing and the points cover.
    2nd. Is the speedo for a Hummer the same as the K Model or does it register a higher speed. If yes - what MPH does it go to
    3rd. What color is the seat Black or Brown? Does the seat interchange with any other period Harley.
    4th. Is the correct horn the long trumpet type.
    Does anyone in the AMCA specialize in the K models that may have some of the pieces I need.
    How can I find the correct colors available in '52 for the K Models
    Thanks
    Sam
    PS What is this bike realistically worth finished

Try OSKRG (old sportster and k model research group) should answer some of your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by 59xlh View Post
      Try OSKRG (old sportster and k model research group) should answer some of your questions.
      Wow, looks like a great forum, 59xlh!

Since Ks are out of my zodiac, I really need contemporary literature about the M53 series carbs;

I searched "float setting", and the first appropriate result was: "Hi, the brass float is fine".

I've got a meme, but I'm not going to post it.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I can help you with some info. I have every K parts book, riders handbook, sales info, and order forms.
        As to your questions;
        1) Cad plated with a chrome cover in the deluxe package, otherwise both cad.
        2) Speedo is K only, different face and different location of mounting tabs
        3) Seats are black. Seats are also unique to K model with the '52 and '53 using the wide type solo.
        4) Yes, the trumpet horn attaches to a clip on the back of the air filter backing plate, the power pack hangs on the top motor mount.

Go here https://www.harleykmodel.com/
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I had a 1952 K Model back in the 1960's. I remember it as very easy to start, nice comfortable ride that soaked up the bumps, not to heavy for the time but it would slip out of 2nd gear all the time. Apparently this was a big problem for the K Model. Took it to 4 different dealers who refused to work on it as they would have to split the cases to fix the tranny. They all said it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. Sold the bike. For some reason grandma didn't take a photo of this bike like she did with my other bikes. One day I rode it to our local gas station hangout and pulled up to the pump profiling like I was the ****. I promptly got my pants cuff caught on the foot peg and fell right over! So much for profiling.

Comment

The power pack for the horn is thinner in '52.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Now all I have to do is find the correct horn, speedo and seat. I saw the correct seat at Davenport this year (Heathers leathers) but it was covered in Tan leather and I was pretty sure that wasn't right. Do any of you have any ideas where I might look for some of these items? Also, I'm thinking of painting this old dog black instead of worrying whether I got the correct shade of blue. Any suggestion on this?
              Thanks
              again
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by samsmc1 View Post
                Thanks for the responses. Now all I have to do is find the correct horn, speedo and seat. I saw the correct seat at Davenport this year (Heathers leathers) but it was covered in Tan leather and I was pretty sure that wasn't right. Do any of you have any ideas where I might look for some of these items? Also, I'm thinking of painting this old dog black instead of worrying whether I got the correct shade of blue. Any suggestion on this?
                Thanks
                again
                Sam
                I think I have a '52 seat pan that could be recovered. Horns are tough to find.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As stated, the K Model site is the place to be. Start a build thread over there and you will get more info then you can handle. I have a respectable 53 K if you need detailed pics of anything. There weren't too many things different.
                  1959 XLCH

Comment

I sent a PM on the seat pan weeks ago but no response. Let me know if you are interested or not. Thanks
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                    X