early sportster front fork boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early sportster front fork boots

After three years and replacing the fork boots once a year on my 1965 XLCH restoration due to the cheep aftermarket ones cracking and dry rot. I found out that Harley Davidson have started making the 46001-54 boots only after talking to someone at the Davenport swap meet this year. So I called and ordered a pair from my local dealership and they seem to be be a better quality boot and maybe they will last a bit longer, only time will tell. I don't know if this was a secret or if other owners of the early sportsters have had this problem so I am just putting this out there. Hope this helps.

silver65

I think the boots were available all along, I bought a set at a dealer about 15 years ago. The boots should have been obsolete like everything else on the early forks since the 70s.
    vph-d

Comment

I can’t confirm it but I’ve been told that armorall and other silicon based protectants deteriorate aftermarket boots and baby oil is a better option. I’ve been using baby oil on what I presume are oem boots with no problems.

Comment

Working...
      X