Tappet galling or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappet galling or not

I was cleaning up some old tappets that I replaced on my rebuild and was was going to install new rollers and after cleaning one of them up it appeared to have some heavy galling on the vertical the direction the tappet travels in the guild and it was on all the tappets the same. After noticing the machining at the base fo the tappet at the roller pin all the horizontal machining that appear to be the same as the vertical was it really galling I don't know I have nothing to compare it to. I pulled the tappet out of a aluminum guild that could have been changed out at some time because I know that they started out steel don't know when they changed to aluminum but if this is galling then it would have had to happen in a steel guild with no oil.Any thoughts about installing new rollers or junk them.They are 18508-52A or R speed/lighting 67gram tappets. IMG_1838.jpgIMG_1839.jpgIMG_1840.jpgIMG_1841.jpg

Sports ain't in my lane, Silver65,...

But when tappet guides are aluminum, the tappets suffer the common fate of abrasive particles embedding into the soft metal, and it then becomes an effective tool-holder to cut deep into the reciprocating tappet.

The guides can be saved with a keyway Sunnen hone to remove the damage and abrasives, but then will require fitting to oversized tappets.

But I base that upon big twin experience,... mostly.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-25-2022, 05:13 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I agree with Cotton. Hone guides oversize and fit new oversize tappets.

Comment

Working...
      X