Head and Cylinder Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head and Cylinder Paint

Were 1969 XLCH heads and cylinders painted both silver and black? Earlier vs. late? I’ve seen plenty of photos with silver, but mine are black. And I’m 99% sure they’ve never been touched since new.

Pretty sure '69 was the last year for silver , but I'm no expert . I bought a '70 brand new & they were black , I'm sure you know that . Always loved the silver .

Comment

I do not know about Sportsters, but 1970 Shovelheads are still silver cylinders and heads.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        I know the bike was sold new in ‘70, maybe due to the sparkling burgundy color?
        But it’s definitely a’69.
        Perhaps the MoCo changed to black in the latter part of the production year.
        The VIN is in the 7800’s which may mean it was a later production? I don’t know Sportster numbers that well.

Comment

I have my doubts that your '69 was sold in '70 just because Sportsters were very hot sellers then . I wanted one in Sept.of '69 but had to order it because of no inventory . I didn't get it until April of '70 & you couldn't even specify a color , you had to take what ever came in ! Also I'm pretty sure they were offered in Sparkling Burgundy in '69 . And I'm sure you already know that '69 CH's were the last year of the tin primary & mag.

Comment

I believe Sparkling Burgundy was an optional, extra cost color in 69. The heads and barrels were silver. Heat Resistant Silver spray paint may still be available from dealers under p/n 98600-78, but it runs about $25.00 a can.
            VPH-D

Comment

I’m basing my assumption that it was sold in’70 on the title I received with the bike which stated “sold in 1970”
              l bought it from the widow of the owner who said he bought it new. But maybe he didn’t.
              It was last registered in ‘74. It spun a rod bearing, was disassembled, gathered up all the parts to repair,…..and then sat in the barn.
              The cylinders were bored .020 over but the heads are untouched. They are black and if they were repainted then the paint has aged and has the same patina as the rest of the bike. No evidence of silver either.
              That said, they will be silver when it goes back together.
              Thanks to all for your input. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X