1964 XLCH Solo seat search...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 XLCH Solo seat search...

I'm rebuilding my 1964 XLCH - its mostly original apart from the seat - I have the hardware and an original T bar to mount a solo seat. Trying to find an original is proving a little difficult over here in the UK - I am tempted down the aftermarket route but want it to be authentic as possible. If anyone knows of a saddle maker set up to make them it would be appreciated. To be honest any advice or pictures of genuine (or not) 60s Sportster seats would help - and of course if anyone has one that it is taking up too much space in their shed even better...!

Richard
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Look for part number 52010-54 you will find something you can live with in leather is but I think they were covered in vinyl in 64.Good luck with original.

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
      Look for part number 52010-54 you will find something you can live with in leather is but I think they were covered in vinyl in 64.Good luck with original.
      I'm pretty certain 1964 was leather

Comment

They are hard to find now because they were uncommon even when new. The majority of Sportsters were shipped with buddy seats or dual seats and not solos. Also be careful not to get a seat for a lightweight which are nearly the same.
        sportster road test.jpg
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I found a leather Corbin Gentry that I put on my 65 and then later I thought I read somewhere they went to vinyl in the mid 60's due to cost can't remember the year exactly but what I have works for me and goes well with my build.

Comment

I found a leather Corbin Gentry that I put on my 65 and then later I thought I read somewhere they went to vinyl in the mid 60's due to cost can't remember the year exactly but what I have works for me and goes well with my build.
            The "Royalite" seat covers began in about '54/'55 for most models on all seat styles and were dropped by the early '60s due to durability issues. Most of the seats went to an improved Vinyl type for the buddy seats and back to leather for solos right about '64.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The big problem with any original solo seat is the foam is usually breaking down and leaving crumbs all over every time you sit on it. I used the corbin gentry solos and have had good luck, the only problem is they don't fit 100% just like any repro part. I hated to do it but you need to slightly oval the two rear mount holes on the original tee bar to make them fit. Not terrible because you can't notice it when the seat is mounted, this is probably your best option if you want the solo. The buddy seats are plentiful but I never liked the look. The dual seat is the holy grail in my opinion but costly to buy if you can find it and then it will more then likely need restoration.
              Attached Files
              1959 XLCH

Comment

Yep Had to wallow out the holes too on my seat bracket and I see you colored the tan leather on the underneath side that is riveted to the pan. I used a large black perment marker to color the leather black on my Corbin Gentry seat I did not like seeing the tan leather did not looked finished!

Comment

Yep Had to wallow out the holes too on my seat bracket and I see you colored the tan leather on the underneath side that is riveted to the pan. I used a large black perment marker to color the leather black on my Corbin Gentry seat I did not like seeing the tan leather did not looked finished!
                  No...I have several bikes with corbin seats, they all came black underneath. Must be something new they did I haven't bought one in some time though.
                  1959 XLCH

Comment

Working...
                  X