Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert M53 Choke Shaft Question

Hi All,

I’m running a 53KRM with an M53 which has the one-piece choke shaft. It works fine but would like to add the correct shaft. I realise they are unobtainium but if anyone has a lead on one it will be appreciated. Part number is 27215-52 or 27235-52A.
    Alternatively is there anything off another Linkert that might substitute or adapt?
    I bought the KRM locally here in Victoria Australia a few years ago and have been having some fun with it since. It seems to have most of its correct bits. Initially it was in a 56 frame but is now in a 53 frame courtesy of Jerry Raino, many thanks to Jerry.

Rick

It would help if we could identify the two shafts, Rick,.

And your "one-piece" shaft as well, but the K (and Sportster) people have been really stingy with their literature.

Which one is this fossil?

M53A-1CK.jpg

It was found upon an M53A-1, for what that's worth,..

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten,

That is the one I have, what I called the one piece shaft, from an M53-A1, not the one I want. I found a few ebay pictures of an M53 with choke in various positions that might be helpful. First is a parts layout, with the brass shaft and steel handle at the top right. Its the shaft I need. A couple of others of assembled carb.

Linkert M53 Choke Off.jpg
      Linkert M53 Choke On.jpg
      Linkert M53 RHS.jpg

Rick
      Last edited by RickXLGuy; 08-18-2021, 07:25 PM.

Comment

The shaft would be easy if you found the bizarre handle, Rick!

But I must ask why it was designed; Is it to clear an air cleaner?

Lamm&Roeder.jpg

Looks like plenty of room to me!

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          The shaft would be easy if you found the bizarre handle, Rick!

But I must ask why it was designed; Is it to clear an air cleaner?

Lamm&Roeder.jpg

Looks like plenty of room to me!

.....Cotten
          Race bikes didn't have chokes, MR3, MR4, MR4A all use the short body with no choke. The M53 series however does. And due to the odd K backing plate the clearance is very necessary.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Which air cleaner do you have, Rick?

I can't find any pics with the production 7" cover on a racer... Just this kitchen pot shows up...

Kno25.jpg

z5XBg.jpg

I guess it was too big.

Here's what I thought was the production cover, but with an AMA badge.. (Toothy kid is familiar somehow..)

Willie young.jpg

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,

That last photo, with Willie G?, is a good representation, looks like a K or KK with a knobby on the back for dirt riding. Btw, a KRM is not quite a KR. Not a roller bearing motor but has hotter cams, port work, bigger valves. I've read they were made for desert racing but not successful due to a weight disadvantage over the brit bikes.

First off, here's the parts layout again that doesn't seem to appear in the previous post. Shows the brass shaft and steel lever/handle in the top right corner.
              Linkert M53 Pieces.jpg

And next is a picture showing the back of the air cleaner, with the handle in view

You can see that the K Model backing plate is centrally located and indented, otherwise looks like a standard j-slot backing plate. The cover is a standard j-slot also.
              It's a reasonable view of the lever handle which I have. It clamps on the shaft with a screw. Hence they probably fall off and have become rare, and get replaced with the later one-piece shaft/handle.

Linkert M-53 Choke Lever.jpg

And it looks like this on a KRM, sitting a bit higher than other air cleaners do, thanks to the central location rather than being offset.
              1953-harley-davidson-krm-std-Motor Left.jpg
              Rick
              Last edited by RickXLGuy; 08-20-2021, 09:00 PM. Reason: Clarify difference betweeen KRM and KR.

Comment

I boogered up a backing plate like that once, Rick!

(Still have it somewhere, but it now only fits my one-off air horn.)

Your pic of parts confuses me.
                The raw brass plugs and copper bowl cap (which never had an OEM seal beneath it) and repop bowl scream Tedd Cycle, and I'm certain you know the venturies were not brass, so please use that photo for marginal reference. The float is molded (so it could be anything), and the float lever seems fat.

The brass choke shaft is quite close to some potmetal Schebler's!

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-20-2021, 10:07 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Think that float is sitting on the bowl gasket that's why it looks funny. Yes its a photo for reference, just never seen an M53 laid out like that. No doubt some Tedd parts there, at least they have them.
                  Interesting about the Schebler, though I don't fancy chasing them!

Rick

Comment

Working...
                  X