Linkert DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert DC

Got rid of the three asbestos spacers/insulators on my XLCH wonder how many points this will cost me if I ever decide to have my bike judged?
    Attached Files

Want a slab of Micarta, Silver65?

"Correct" or not,.. at least it would be "period correct"; The judges might even miss it!

(Billet not so much.)

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-11-2021, 12:03 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

What is micarta something like bakelite I have heard and seen them make knife handles on forged in fire TV show. I had some of theses made because I read and see somewhere 1" spacers for racing and performance applications and thought I would try one .65" or two for a 1.3" spacer to see if there was any difference. I know they used the three asbestos gaskets/ insulators on the XLCH sportsters per the parts book and I guess it was for heat transfer to keep the fuel cooler or to give the magneto more room to rotate for advance/retard of the timing because they only had one spacer/insulator the XLH sportster with the distributor that was stationary.Your input is welcomed and think the judges would catch it unless the micarta is white like the asbestos insulators I will be watching the judging at Denton this week headed out Thursday.
      Attached Files

Comment

Adds plenum volume, and also increases the distance from the throttle shaft to the V separation, may add some power.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

Micarta is a phenolic like Bakelite, Silver65,..

But impregnated with laminated fibers; Usually red-brown, easy to machine but nasty to breathe. I cut Schebler lift lever fingers from it, etc.

The only DC extensions I remember were the Webco bowl spacers,..

WEBCO1.jpg

...but then Sportsters were pretty much out of my zodiac.

I don't even have a Parts Book.

.....Cotten
          PS: A spacer with two thin gaskets are preferable to a stack of fat squishy ones, of course!
          Poorly supported metal moves under fastener stress (10 ft/lbs torque, no more than thirteen.. ), and the flanges should be arbitrarily dressed flat with each fresh assembly anyway. Its damn hard to leaktest there.

(Any goober is just another variable; Modern gaskets such as from JAMES are treated to adhere to a prepped surface, and any goober would defeat it.)

PPS: While we are talking DCs, Folks,...
          Over a decade ago I carved a batch of floats, basically giving them away for testing and feedback.
          Does zero feedback mean they worked fine?
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-11-2021, 04:22 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

carb523b.jpgcarb478a.jpg I was able to find a webco bowl spacer online but have been unable to find a spacer for the dc carb manifold so I had some made.People have done a lot of different little things to the Linkert DC carbs in the past ( modifications ) while racing flat track don't know witch ones work and the ones that don't and have seen them bomb sites,the standard jet was the no.4 but don't know if they enlarged that main jet or not, just working thru it all playing around. S&S uses Micarda insulator with their setups, I would need a piece .5 to 1.0 to space the carb out. Up for hearing about modifications. I have a spare DC carb that I am experimenting with to see what I can get out of, it with my 50 over bore and the "Y" grind cams that I put in on rebuild.
            Last edited by silver65; 05-11-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

It would take a journey down into my shop's "Creature Feature" to see how thick of Micarta boards I have, Silver65!

But no doubt it would take a stack to get an inch, and by that time you ain't foolin' even the best judges.

I must defer to Kitabel for your other questions, as I only have armchair-engineer opinions on secondary venturies and the like; Hopefully he has data!

....Cotten
              PS: There are at least two reasons why Liberty stopped taking in DC requests, Folks!

The second is that I couldn't bother with the Henkel Alodine (or whatever) yellow finish. Even though nobody cared, It would have been required as a professional to provide it as the "correct" finish.

DC10 YELLOW.jpg

The first is that these most wonderful Linkerts don't need me anyway.

Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-11-2021, 07:48 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten do you think or know if the DC carbs had the Alodine finish when they rolled off the assembly line and new.

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
                  Cotten do you think or know if the DC carbs had the Alodine finish when they rolled off the assembly line and new.
                  Sorry, Silver65,..

I wasn't there, and never opened any NOS either, So the yellow thing would be hearsay and conjecture if it weren't for the fossil record, such as my previous pic.
                  The iridescence was impossible for me to capture, as this is the same body in different light...

DC10 YELLOW 2.jpg

Now you know as much as I do.

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-11-2021, 09:40 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I can see it in that picture and I noticed it thinking it was stale dried up gas on the inside of the carb bowl because it was all over and looked and seemed like a even lite yellowish tinge coating on inside of the DC carb I just rebuilt well clean up, it looked someone removed it from a bike and was sitting on a shelf for 50 years. But I now do think that there was that coating and never thought twice about it and did not know there was.
                    IMG_1601.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
                      Got rid of the three asbestos spacers/insulators on my XLCH wonder how many points this will cost me if I ever decide to have my bike judged?
                      Unless you changed the frame -- based on your previous posts your bike isn't eligible for judging anyways . . .so have fun.

As to why 3 gaskets -- on CH models it is necessary to space them out for the original air cleaner to pass over the magneto.

Comment

They are not gaskets they are block insulators/spacers two different part numbers beater.

Comment

So nobody's gonna tell the judges about the yellow, right Folks?

(Doh!)

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-12-2021, 05:57 PM.
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            So nobody's gonna tell the judges about the yellow, right Folks?

(Doh!)

....Cotten
                            The judges are aware and several well known Sportster restorers are doing it.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

After 56 years the yellow wore off but its still there, you can't see it, do you need glasses it's there ! Then the dirt kick on the shoes ! At least some people have a since of humor.
                              The Sportster restorers are they married?

Comment

Working...
                              X