• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frame ID

Would this frame stamp be sept. of 1962
    Attached Files

In theory, yes.

I noticed youre interested in judging in another thread. There's a lot more to the frames than the date stamp.

see this link for an idea:
    https://www.harleykmodel.com/technic...oskrg-1-v5.pdf

To your question on the other thread, restamping a frame is not advised.

Comment

I have seen the K model site before and have determined the it is a xlch frame and did not know what the long dash over the I 2 on frame was, it is a frankenstein sportster 62 frame 65 motor and am on the fence about the having the bike judged and due that fact the color I painted it is not correct although I did read somewhere that they had a silver and birch white police special for a 65 sportster. I guest it's all about making it your own. A friend posted a picture of my bike on facebook which I do not like but one of the first comments was wrong rocker boxes and I did not get that with the AMCA forum but was expecting some corrective criticism. Other side with aftermarket primary cover.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
        I have seen the K model site before and have determined the it is a xlch frame and did not know what the long dash over the I 2 on frame was, it is a frankenstein sportster 62 frame 65 motor and am on the fence about the having the bike judged and due that fact the color I painted it is not correct although I did read somewhere that they had a silver and birch white police special for a 65 sportster. I guest it's all about making it your own. A friend posted a picture of my bike on facebook which I do not like but one of the first comments was wrong rocker boxes and I did not get that with the AMCA forum but was expecting some corrective criticism. Other side with aftermarket primary cover.
        The judging would be based on the engine number so anything incorrect for that year would be a hit. Like the pre '64 front brake.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I am in the process of building correct front wheel but it is also my understanding that lets say at the end of each model year any leftover parts would be used up at the beginning of next years model build and that most of the time changes would take place in the middle of the year, so say 2000 bikes were made that year and he first 500 bikes had some of the year before parts if this alone was true It would be hard to determine and left to the judges and I would not want to be in there shoes.

Comment

I am in the process of building correct front wheel but it is also my understanding that lets say at the end of each model year any leftover parts would be used up at the beginning of next years model build and that most of the time changes would take place in the middle of the year, so say 2000 bikes were made that year and he first 500 bikes had some of the year before parts if this alone was true It would be hard to determine and left to the judges and I would not want to be in there shoes.
            That is basically false. Occasionally an older part was used but not normally. Especially in the case where a new for model year feature is introduced, like the full width wheel for '64. There is lots of documentation available for verifying changes, and trying to guess isn't one of them.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes your right about the hub but it is correct for my 62 frame but not correct for a 65 titled motor. I have a parts book and the aluminum hub did start in 64 and 65 was last year of the Linkert DC carb, horseshoe oil tank and first year of the 12v electrical systems and at that time you could order the bike with what you wanted on them, and the fact that the XLCH basically started out as a off road dirt bike and was used in flat track racing with magneto and 1" more ground clearance and lights were added later, the handlebars, gas&oil tanks, & seats changed from the XL, XLH, XLCH, XLR sportster models but they were mostly the same from 57-69. My parts book is only for model years1954 - 1965 - KH, XL, XLH, & XLCH after that I do research. Still would not want to judge and I am sure that AMCA has there guidelines.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by silver65;n279623 [B
                I guest it's all about making it your ow[/B]n.
                Making it your own is the opposite of AMCA judging.

AMCA judging is designed to measure how close a bike comes to being more or less exactly as it was delivered by the factory.

The bike then has to score so many points at three different meets to reach the Winner's Circle.

It's a heck of an achievement to restore a bike to winners circle and takes some serious dedication/research.

Comment

did not know what the long dash over the I 2 on frame was

Re the horizontal marking, I don’t think it is a concern because I have several photo examples with an extra marking above the date code characters, both of which are sometimes upside down. Sometimes both code characters are even applied horizontally so perhaps that was the initial plan but the stamper changed his mind after doing one character horizontally and then he stamped the other two characters.

Does the steering head have an additional original component identifying number, aka security code, aka anti-theft number? For example, A123(4) or B123(4). It may be stamped on the left side? If nothing on the left then check the R-H side.
                  Eric

Comment

I looked for the security code once before per the k model.com site did not find any numbers right or left side of neck but I did not scratch any paint off but if numbers were there they should have been visible because of the fact that paint on frame appeared to be original and thought the frame was pre 63 per the k model site and makes sense if it is a 62 frame. I thought maybe the long dash over the top of date stamp was to indicate the top of the date code and come 55 years later and we are trying analyze a possible mistake made on frame date stamp.

Comment

Seems unusual for that frame to have no additional ID. Characters are small and sometimes hard to notice. Here is A7+++ on the left side.
                      Eric

Comment

That is very visible and I would have noticed that, but it does have the two taped holes for clutch and brake cables on both sides perhaps they did not start security code till 63 definitely as the harley K sportster.com site states.

Comment

The frame I posted above appears to have been made in March 1962?
                          Eric

Comment

As mentioned earlier, the AMCA judging process is aimed at getting bikes back to as they left the factory, and that's a tough row to hoe. A 1962 frame would not have left the factory with a 1965 engine. You still have the Period Modified class to show off your bike, and try tagging along with a Sportster judging team and appreciate the awesome level of expertise these guys have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                            X