Petcock Filter Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Filter Screens

I have petcock No. 62125-55B which comes with the push-on filter screen. The original screen is a very loose fit on the petcock body, presumably as a result of a swelling reaction to modern gasoline additives.

I bought aftermarket replacement screens but their fit is only slightly tighter than the existing OEM screen. I tried using a very small tie-wrap to tighten the fit with no success and even if that worked, the assembly wouldn't fit through the gas tanks' npt hole. I'm now reluctantly thinking of applying an epoxy to keep it in place, but epoxies used in gasoline have been a topic of discussion on this forum in the past that I haven't seen any resolution to.

Does anyone know of an epoxy that can be used for this purpose that will not react to the gasoline? Any other suggestions as to how the filter can be made to fit more tightly onto the petcock body?
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

if it's for a linkert carb, don't worry about it, just use the oem type fuel strainer that mounts to the carb.
    if it's for a HD lightweight, perhaps the screen could be re soldered in place as i think the originals were.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
      ... I'm now reluctantly thinking of applying an epoxy to keep it in place, but epoxies used in gasoline have been a topic of discussion on this forum in the past that I haven't seen any resolution to.

Does anyone know of an epoxy that can be used for this purpose that will not react to the gasoline? Any other suggestions as to how the filter can be made to fit more tightly onto the petcock body?
      Original 'Gorilla Glue', Bill!

Other folks were gluing floats, and it passed my soak test so far....

....Cotten
      PS: Original JBWeld was tried-and-true until recent years, when only well-seasoned application survived. If you can let it sit several weeks, it may still be trusted. (Until the P4gas changes again: That goes for Gorilla Glue, too!)
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-09-2020, 10:29 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Original 'Gorilla Glue', Bill!

Other folks were gluing floats, and it passed my soak test so far....

....Cotten
        PS: Original JBWeld was tried-and-true until recent years, when only well-seasoned application survived. If you can let it sit several weeks, it may still be trusted. (Until the P4gas changes again: That goes for Gorilla Glue, too!)
        Cotten,
        The assembly will sit in the emptied tank until the spring, so there should be plenty of time for JBWeld to fully cure before it's immersed. Thanks for the input - I know that you've been on this application for quite a while.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

I recently had a similar problem but with a chain saw.I took a strand of copper from a piece of 12ga. stranded wire and lashed the screen in place.
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post

Cotten,
            The assembly will sit in the emptied tank until the spring, so there should be plenty of time for JBWeld to fully cure before it's immersed. Thanks for the input - I know that you've been on this application for quite a while.
            Is it plastic, Bill?,..

Gorilla Glue might have an adhesion advantage, and a lot easier to clean up next time.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-09-2020, 08:46 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Is it plastic, Bill?,..

Gorilla Glue might have an adhesion advantage, and a lot easier to clean up next time.

....Cotten
              Cotten,
              Yes - the strainer consists of a brass screen inserted into a plastic retainer body. I used JBWeld and its curing on my work bench. I'll wait a couple of more days and reinstall it into the tank. It'll sit in the empty tank until the Spring, so it'll have plenty of time to reach full-cure. The aftermarket strainers are cheap and come in packs of 5 each. If a replacement becomes necessary, wasting the old one won't be a problem.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
              X