Announcement

Collapse

Upgrade complete

The AMCA forum underwent a significant version upgrade on November 28, 2020. While all posts and content were migrated during the upgrade process, please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page if you discover any lost functionality or missing content. Thank you.
See more
See less

rear brake drum for '56 KHK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake drum for '56 KHK

I have new 49T and 51T sprockets, but only one rear brake drum. I am considering buying a spare rear drum so I will have one with a 49T sprocket and one with a 51T sprocket. That way, I can switch ratios without having to mess with rivets. It appears that later (1954?) drums have "cogs." I am not sure what this means. J&P / V Twin sells one but it is not clear whether it has cogs. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find a good, correct rear drum for my '56 KHK besides swap meets and eBay?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Aren't the drums pretty much the same from 52-78? I'm curious how one could rivet a 49t sprocket, which would have to have a smaller diameter, onto the drum?
    VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
      Aren't the drums pretty much the same from 52-78? I'm curious how one could rivet a 49t sprocket, which would have to have a smaller diameter, onto the drum?
      VPH-D
      The '49 tooth sprocket as used on the KH/KHK was the same inner diameter, only the tooth pitch, outer diameter was smaller. They fit any K/Sportster drum. The 'cogs" are merely cast in blocks on the back of the drum.
      Last edited by Rubone; 10-24-2020, 12:12 PM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I didn't know that, thanks...
        VPH-D

Comment

Working...
        X