Sportster Steel Speedo Cable Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Steel Speedo Cable Length

I THOUGHT I had this issue solved awhile back, but apparently not.

The OEM steel -covered speedometer cable that I have for my '64 XLCH appears to be about 2-1/2" too long. Is also possible that I'm routing the cable incorrectly thereby not using the intended length.

The steel casing is 44" in length, excluding the nuts on both sides The OEM inner drive cable is 45" long. I also have an aftermarket cable that is 45" in length, and the inner cable is about 46-1/2" long. I assume the aftermarket cable is a 'fits-all' generic cable, obviously not meant for accurate restorations.

Does anyone know the correct overall length measurement for the pre-1965 speedometer cables? Also, does anyone have photos of the correct cable routing?

finally, if my cable assembly is indeed incorrect, does anyone have, or know of someone who would have one to sell?

Thanks.....
    Last edited by billpedalino; 08-06-2017, 09:53 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

After spending some time with THE LEGEND BEGINS and a magnifying glass, it now see that the cable follows a curve toward the front of the bike as it passes the frame neck - I ran mine more vertically. I'll check to see if I can make up the extra 2.5" there, but would still be interested in the correct outer casing measurement.
    Thanks...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
    X