XLCH finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLCH finishes

I'm getting ready to reassemble the frame on my 69 XLCH. Can anyone tell me if the swingarm pivot hardware and the the steering neck cups get cad, parkerized or left raw. Thank you.

XLCH Finish

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
    I'm getting ready to reassemble the frame on my 69 XLCH. Can anyone tell me if the swingarm pivot hardware and the the steering neck cups get cad, parkerized or left raw. Thank you.
    The steering head cups and the swing arm nut lock fixture and it's mounting screw are cad, the remaining parts are parkerized. Check out HarleyKmodel.com as its the go to site for K models and pre AMF Sportsters. There are 69's in the gallery section that you may find helpful in your restoration.

Comment

What is cad and parkerized?

Comment

soundnav,

Cad is cadmium plating. It's a flat-ish silver-ish color that can be kind of silky to the touch. Eastwood makes a spray can substitute but it should be sent out to someone.

Parkerizing is flat black in color. It can be a little oily looking due to the final step of the process soaking the part in old oil. You can do this at home if you want to invest a little time and money. It's the cheaper of the two processes.

Z

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. One more for you: What is the proper finish on the Sportster cam and sprocket covers? I have old chrome now and it is in rough shape.

Comment

Natural aluminum. The center "stripe" only would be polished.
            There is a wealth of finish info over on the harleykmodel.com website.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/index.html

Z

Comment

Working...
            X