71' XLH kick start conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71' XLH kick start conversion?

I'm planning in purchasing a kick start conversion kit for my 1971 XLH.Specifically the V-twin 22-0201 kit.
    That way I will have both kick and unreliably electric start capabilities.
    Does anyone have any opinions or experience with this?
    Good instructions?I going to install it myself

You will have no reliability with that piece of Chines junk. You will just frustrate your self watching it fall apart. Make a list of all the parts numbers and go find factory original parts. I'm willing to bet that you come up with most of the parts the first time you do a search. This is a 71 Sportster. You don't have to go to planet unattainable to find the parts. Tell us more about your self kid and welcome to the forum. Bob Luland
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Westwas1!

Welcome Good Sir,
      If your electric starter is unreliable, it would be far easier to fix that.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Westwas1!

Welcome Good Sir,
        If your electric starter is unreliable, it would be far easier to fix that.

....Cotten

Thank You!Just the kind of advice I was looking for.
        This is my first Harley/Sportster.I"ve owned quite a few older English bikes and a '46 Chief.
        Now that I've got the clutch and primary off I see that the bushing is there.Also the ratchet
        gear is riveted to the clutch basket.So there two parts I don't need to buy.

The electric start system.New battery,bendix,solenoid and starter.Was working maybe every
        10th time,then starter stuck on.Every time I turned the key starter stayed on.I suspect the solenoid
        and will fix it.Ive never owned a motorcycle with electric start only and had always planned installing
        the kicker.

Comment

I got a 75 for a great deal because the guy staerted pulling wires to make the starter shut off. Its usually the starter relay that's under the battery. Looks like a ford solenoid. I usually eliminate them and put a heavy duty 25amp push button on instead. Hd put those on bc the little button is only a few amp. Good luck and welcome!

Comment

Working...
          X