Need XLCH Motor Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need XLCH Motor Cases

I posted this elsewhere today , but thought it might also be appropriate under the Sportster Forum:

I'm dismayed to state (and somewhat embarrassed) that I have allowed myself to be taken advantage of by an EBay seller. About 7 years (+/-) ago when I was starting to acquire parts for a Sportster restoration, I purchased a motor case for a 1964 XLCH, one of two '64 projects that I'm working on. After many years of doing this stuff, I'm quite experienced at bad-number detection. From what I could see from the online photo, the numbers looked quite good. So I won the bid. When I received the case, I checked the VIN numbers and they looked as represented online. I also checked sequence with the line bore (belly) numbers and that seemed to check out as well. The shape of the number block was flawless, the digit shapes were correct and the texture of the surface of the number pad was original. All seemed good and I shelved the case for future parts acquisition and eventual assembly. Mentally, I considered the VIN-check successful and put it out of my mind.

Years later, I assembled the motor with parts that I had acquired over many years of collecting and it now looks beautiful! It currently resides in the frame with the complete front end and rear swing arm assemblies installed and with beautifully restored aluminum wheel rims with reproduction grasshopper tires. I'm now ready to tackle the correct and original sheet metal and painting as the final task.

During the assembly, I took a a number of photos for my historic record, one of which being a close-up (with full flash) of the VIN number. Last week I was reviewing these pictures on my computer and noticed an anomaly in the VIN pic. The bright flash picked up a problem with one digit what my not-so-great eyesight missed; one digit was over-stamped. In fact, now that I can see this deceit, I can even identify the original digit. This was a really 'good' job and - better than any other I've seen and I'm embarrassed to say, it got past me, as over-stamps are almost always obvious to the trained eye. I'm obviously going to disassemble the motor and remove the offending case.

I'm thinking of bringing it to the local police and showing them what I have and explaining how I obtained it, which means there's a chance of them taking the case from me. However, I also wonder if there is a (albeit, slight) slight risk of being falsely accused of receiving stolen property, as I don't have a copy of the EBay transaction and I don't believe that EBay keeps records of transactions for very long. Therefore, I have no trail of origin and the buck might stop with me! Conversely, this course of action is counterbalanced by the slight possibility that if the case does not come up as stolen, or if it's not claimed by the original owner I may be able to legally retain the part. But even if that happens, I'm not sure how this would work in representing the bike at sale, as I will sell it (some day) and will not represent it as anything other than it will be at that time.

I reside in New York State and am hoping that some other member might be knowledgeable in these affairs, and who can offer some guidance or options as to how I might proceed.

But - at this juncture, I need another (totally legitimate) 1964 CH motor case and ask if anyone out there has one to sell, or knows of somebody that might.

Advice to all - be very careful. This is a truly LOUSY position to be in.
    Last edited by billpedalino; 09-26-2015, 09:12 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Call me. I sent my number to you.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
    X