Sportster Clutch Lever Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Clutch Lever Bracket

I'm having trouble finding the correct clutch lever bracket for my '64. Both of my parts books call out P/N 38705-46 for use up to and including 1964. I have the ball-end '65 and later clutch lever assemblies, but they are different and incorrect for 1964. The '46 number apparently indicates that this bracket was a re-use of on older part, most likely a W-series part re-purposed for the K-Model in 1954 and continued to the Sportster model. I've installed lots of these brackets onto Sportsters over the years and never paid much attention to them, as I had still them in stock and never had to find and purchase one.

Now that I need one for myself I purchased an OEM piece from Old Dude by P/N. When I received it I placed it onto the handlebar and noticed that the part that receives the cable end and the cable adjuster (that should be more-or-less perpendicular the handlebar) actually leans at an angle of 45 degrees or so towards the bar. Clete and Bart immediately refunded my money and were equally confused about the fit. Clete even took precious time at Oley (which I greatly appreciated) and tried to help me figure it out to no avail. Later, I did find two other used brackets (with the big hole for the cable adjuster) at Oley yesterday and found that both are of similar manufacture and of the same 'misfit'. Apparently the P/N is incorrect as stated in the parts book.

Can anyone offer some clarity here? ...or maybe have the correct part to sell?

Thanks.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755
Working...
X