Finish on Steel Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish on Steel Cables

I brought my steel tachometer and speedometer cables for my '64 XLCH to the plater this morning to discuss how to restore them to the correct OEM finish (and to make yet another installment payment on my never-ending plating balance). As I recall, when brand new these cables didn't have the 'white' finish of new cadmium, but were a darker grey-silver in color and had a shiny surface finish. Over time, they inevitably become darker as they oxidize and certain areas take on a blackish-hue. After some head-scratching, we decided that a zinc plating finish might be closest to new/OEM but I decided to do a little more research before committing to the zinc. Does anyone have a better suggestion as to how to correctly restore this finish?
    Thanks...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    I bought the cables for my wife's 69 XLH in the later 70s. They are zinc plated, but by that time, I think the factory had stopped cad plating entirely, in lieu of zinc.
    VPH-D

Comment

I think that you're probably correct, as I remember the cables looking different than the 'whiter' cab-plated parts. I'll probably just go with the zinc.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
        Those cables have a "barber pole" appearance as new. l clean mine and then dip them in a mild solution of citric acid to brighten them but still retain that barber pole appearance. If you replate the cables, you will lose that appearance. The newer and aftermarket cables are zinc plated.

Comment

That's interesting information. I thought that the 'barber pole' appearance was from dissimilar casing materials oxidizing differently. I'll just brighten them up and be done with it.

Also, please take a look at my post of today concening POR-15 and my front brake drum. I'd be interested in your response....

Thank you...
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

I looked at a Cycle World road test article on the 62 XLCH written in 62 and you can barely make out but see the "barber poling" on the speedo cable. I have a -62 tach cable that I believe is NOS and examined and it definitely has the poling I mentioned, however it is probably over 50 years young. I am posting a response on the POR-15. I did it earlier but I must have screwed up as it didn't post.
            Dave C, Field Judge

Comment

I have that same article and I just looked at it again - Black XLCH. You are exactly correct ! May I impose upon yo to measure the overall length of the outer casing? I want to make sure that I have tje correct one of my '64. Thanks!
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
              X