Welding Cam Lobes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Cam Lobes???

I am retoring a 1955 KHK motor, mounted on my 53 K-model frame. All the cam lobe top edges all have a different bevel on them, apparently from 45+ years of use (it sat for the other 18 years til I found it). I have been trying for several months to find replacement cams for my 1955 KHK motor...unfortunately, we have not found any. A couple small independent Harley shops said they had them, but failed to deliver after 4 1//2 months of waiting. I found a shop in Oregon that builds and machines Cams for racing cars, street cars, trucks, and motorcycles. The technician said he can build up the lobes using an Argon weld and then grind back to specs, which we have from a copy of an old repair manual. He said they will be as good or better than new.

I am looking for someone with an educated opinion or experience that can advise me on this...please PM or post here if you can offer anything.

Thanks!

"Mayday"

Obviously, I can't comment on the specific company you are considering...

But welding up and re-grinding cam lobes is a long-standing practice and done correctly, it is a fine solution. Care has to be taken with integral-gear cams to keep from warping gears. Another alternative is to machine the old lobes off and press/pin on new lobes that you have cut to shape using water jet or wire EDM. This is common practice with Indian cams.

That said, don't companies like Sifton make replacement cams for the early Sportsters? I would think someone has an off-the-shelf replacement that is non-HD.

Sounds like a neat project!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Hi Brian,

I just saw your post. Did you call me earlier today? Call me back, I think I can clear up some misconceptions for you.
      Bruce
      Bruce Argetsinger
      AHRMA Dirt Track #67J
      www.enfieldracing.com

Comment

You are aware that the angle isn't the same on all the cams, right?
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Herre the solution : http://www.techniprofil.com/
          http://www.harley-memories.com
          http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
          AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

I had a 45" flathead HD. when I got it and took it apart, the 2 intake lifter bosses were reversed so that the roller ran across the cam! The roller had worn a radius into the nose of the cams. I sent them to Leineweber and he reground the cams. Of course it reduced the base diameter as well, but kept the timing and lift the same. I ran those cams over 15,000 miles without any trouble before selling the bike ......which I wish I hadn't!!!!
            Dan Margolien
            Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
            Www.yankeechapter.org
            Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X