66-71 FL tank emblems (yellow?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
    The factory emblems say "Fox" on the backside.
    VPH-D
    That one got me curious as I had never noticed that before, so I went out to the shop and pulled an emblem off an original paint tank to see. There are no markings whatsoever on the inside of either one I pulled. Just stamped aluminum.

I then compared them to a set of modern genuine H-D replacements with the ivory paint. Once you discount the paint, the differences are very subtle. So much that a side by side comparison is necessary to spot them. The area over the lettering is brushed to a more coarse finish on the originals and the dash between the names is about 1/32" longer also.

Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

bmh,
      look below the hyphen.
      VPH-D

Comment

could be the angle but it appears that the black line surrounding the words is twice as wide on the repops. also the D is dead canter on the originals and a little to the right of center on the repops maybe

Comment

I'm not up on late models,
          But real ones should be anodized (as the inside of Brian's appear to be), not polished.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
            bmh,
            look below the hyphen.
            VPH-D
            Thanks for pointing that out, I never saw it. Not when i took the pic or sitting here staring at it either. Now my whole day was worthwhile, I learned something

As for the outline, it may be a tad wider on the new one but appears worse in the photo then it really is. The old ones have a bit of polish built up in the letters and outline and just don't seem to show up as crisp when photographed. Though I now also see that the corners of the outline rounded a bit where as the originals are nice and square.

It's starting to snow like all get out here again, but next I get down to the shop I intend to inspect the back of the repop emblem closer , maybe they say fox in Korean.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

My are stock.. I don't know how restorable my emblems are, but they do have the Fox stamp on the back. I had no idea how much conversation my simple question would generate!
              Thanks to all who contributed!! Seems like most of us learned a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by OldHog66 View Post
                I had no idea how much conversation my simple question would generate!
                It's often the seemingly simple questions that cause the biggest uproar.
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
                X