• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

67 FLH front end wobble

20 PSI Front
    24 PSI Rear as per my manual

Comment

You might also want to verify that the front end components are properly aligned - there is a procedure to follow, outlined I believe in the shop manual. Also check to verify that the lower tree is not bent or twisted. Only way I know to do that is to tear down the front end and remove the tubes and attempt reinsertion. They should readily go back into place - I had a set on a rigid pan that were twisted, causing weird handling.

Also, swapping front and wheel wheels and seeing no change in the wobble does not mean that the bearings are good, only that they are both in similar condition. Since you are going thru all this hassle, and with cold weather upon us, it would seem to be a good time to check and/or replace all the bearings, those in both hubs and in both drums.

Also, check the swingarm bearings.

However, I would venture to say that your issue is quite likely the tires.
      Last edited by Lonnie; 10-17-2009, 06:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Originally posted by cmcadam View Post
        20 PSI Front
        24 PSI Rear as per my manual
        Just Curious, does everyone run that low of pressure in the front tire (i know about what the manual says). My 65 along with several shovelhead dressers I have had never did very good at 20psi. Sometimes I would get wobbles at that low of pressure, I ran Goodyear speedgrips on all of them. The older ones had 500-16 and the newer ones were 5.10-16 . I always did better at about 26 to 28 lbs. in the front.
        John Underwood
        AMCA#14400
        Central Illinois

Comment

Years ago a friend of mine did some welding on my '51FL. Before he gave the bike back to me, he inflated the tires to 35 p.s.i. I got the bike up to about 25 mph and it shook and bounced so violently that I lost a gas cap and probably a tooth filling. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on because I suspected his welding job. On that bike the front tire should be at 12 p.s.i. and the rear at 14 p.s.i. It will be interesting to find out what's causing your handling problem. I've ridden some beat-up, worn out bikes and they still handled well. Usually a big handling problem is caused by a big problem.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

The MoCo suggests 16-18 lbs in the rear and 25 in front on rigid frames.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

The type of tire is also important. Most modern motorcycle tires with there stiff carcasses don't care much for the low pressures required by a rigid frame machine.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Trying different tire pressures is an easy diagnostic. I used my vintage bike and experience as an example; not a rule.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Re: 67 FLH, Front end wobble

Replaced the tires with new Dunlop D402 models. No more wobble, tracks straight and true. Thanks to all who offered advice.

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
                        The type of tire is also important. Most modern motorcycle tires with there stiff carcasses don't care much for the low pressures required by a rigid frame machine.
                        My guess is you have never felt the stiff carcases of the 1940's synthetic rubber tires. You could almost run them without air.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

cmcadam
                          How are those Dunlops running? I am not a real fan of that tread pattern,
                          but I suspect they feel pretty good on grooved concrete pave.
                          They probably behave well on wet roads, too. I had a wrench suggest a similar tire, earlier,
                          and I have always been tempted. I love my Avons, though.
                          # 5844

Comment

Working...
                          X