Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris..
    Agreed...

Cad's getting tougher to find and more expensive every day. At least all of my brackets and parts are no longer rusty or dark, stained, crappy... and although they are not Cad, they're not powdercoated or chromed.... Some things are getting less and less practical to do... I may have some of those Cad plated eventually...

Comment

Here's a drawing of 3 rim profiles. I've seen examples of all of them.
      I think A should show up on knuckles, B on early Shovelheads and C on later Shovels.
      Can anyone identify which years these changes were made?
      C is what I assume is meant by "safety bead". The form at the corner of the drop keeps the tire bead from falling into the drop area if it goes flat.
      Attached Files
      Ralph

Comment

Great drawing, thanks...very helpful! I can see the 'safety bead' and understand it now!

Comment

That is not correct re the early shovel rim - H-D went to the safety bead, as shown in your third sketch, in I guess '63. All shovels would have the safety bead. I have seen rims like the second sketch but am not sure what that is all about. I rode a H-D with a flat tire down the road (too hot to change the tire but a treat keeping it upright!) and when I got to the house, my rim ended up looking like your second sketch! It later went to the swap meet.
          Lonnie Campbell #9908
          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I believe the rims like the second sketch have a 1962 part number and were used up until the safety bead came out. I think in about 66-67.

Comment

My '51 has profile 'A', my '69 has profile 'B'. Can't promise either is original, but I have no reason to believe the rims have been changed. Anyone know when profile 'C' was introduced?
              Ralph

Comment

Sometime in the early 60's, I think it was a safety mandate by the DOT
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Have a 66 FLH that's still rolling on the original K-H rims and they are the safety bead profile "C" type...

Comment

Working...
                  X