Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swing arm pivot bolt way too tight for bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm pivot bolt way too tight for bearings?

Now that I took my dumbass pill, and figured out the races were installed against other races, I now have everythings assembled correctly and the swing arm fits in the frame just fine! I went to install the pivot bolt... Now I don't know that I thought it would "slide" in nice and loose but it's like the brearings need to be pressed on it.. I did have the pivot bolt re-zinc plated as part of my winter prep..

I've driven and pressed the bolt in about 2 inches into the first bearing and I'd have to drive it back out to get it out.....but even if I could press it in or drive it in it will just knock the other bearing out of the race I assume. Tell me it should not be this tight? Am I going to have to machine down the pivot bolt?

or do I just need another dumbass pill?

You need a chill pill! Just slow down, learn how to do it by reading the manual, and using your senses, and if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Reading my manual it appears as it ought to slip right in. And common sense tells that too. Good luck. Sometimes you just have to put a job up, until you are in the frame of mind to do it right. I have NEVER found a short cut that worked on any of my bikes. Period.
    Mike

Comment

Patience

You need a chill pill! Just slow down, learn how to do it by reading the manual, and using your senses, and if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Reading my manual it appears as it ought to slip right in. And common sense tells that too. Good luck. Sometimes you just have to put a job up, until you are in the frame of mind to do it right. I have NEVER found a short cut that worked on any of my bikes. Period.
      Mike

Comment

Patience

Mike

Comment

Should slip in just like an axle, maybe a few light taps with a deadblow mallet if it's aligned properly. Are you sure you have the correct bearings? Did you save the old ones for comparison?
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

it should slip right in without a hammer at all. you don't need to have it machined down. when it is all tight it doesn't move and nothing that touches it moves either. it clamps the inner races and all the spacers together and the bearings do all the work. usually some emery cloth will do the trick or you can remove the plating on everything but the head of it because that is all that shows anyway. to remove the plating go to the hardware store and buy a gallon of muriatic acid and drop the axle in it up to about one quarter inch from the head and when it stops smoking the plating is all gone. it won't hurt the steel at all. remember to do this outside and DO NOT breathe the fumes or vapors from the plating getting dissolved. it produces cyanide gas (the smoke) and is deadly and will kill you or animals so be VERY careful. do not breathe it!!! this is a lot cheaper than a machine shop since muriatic acid is about 3-4 bucks a gallon and is useful for cleaning aluminum tools and cement also. just be careful---i don't want anyone injured with this method. it is great for cleaning all parts before parkerizing also. good luck

Comment

Plating was just too thick. I put it on a spindle and removed the zinc with emery cloth and she slipped right in..

Took my chill pill.. tomorrow is a new day! and the manual (all three that I have) leave a lot to be desired if you don't do this a lot!

Thanks all!

Comment

Oldhog66 let me ask you question? I’ve been reading you trials and errors with the swing arm. I other day you said that you found the original races still in the arm after it came back from the painter. Hmmm? Painting? Was it blasted prior to paint? Where I’m going with this is good housekeeping. If you didn’t scrub out that arm? It’s full of grease and blasting sand. Those bearings will be toast in no time and or the bolt will hang up and twist that little lock tap right off and will start walking its self out. If ya haven’t done it you need to put it in the parts washer and with a baby bottle brush clean that puppy out and then put it all back together again. The manuel tells you how to use the fishing scale when thighting up the bolt to preload the arm. Bob L
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

OH66, I get the same thing. I think it's called spring fever. It is embarrassing to think of some of the dumb things I have done on my bikes. Somebody must be watching out for me, because I am still here. I wish I could say that for one of my good friends who we lost in that Vietnam 'police action". This Memorial Day I am remembering the real cost of the damn **** the crooked politicians get our good people killed and maimed for.
                  Mike

Comment

OH66, I get the same thing. I think it's called spring fever. It is embarrassing to think of some of the dumb things I have done on my bikes. Somebody must be watching out for me, because I am still here. I wish I could say that for one of my good friends who we lost in that Vietnam 'police action". This Memorial Day I am remembering the real cost of the damn **** the crooked politicians get our good people killed and maimed for.
                    Mike

Comment

Mike

Comment

Mike

Comment

I did take a bottle brush and cleaned the heck out of the swingarm! thanks for the advice, as I don't think I'd have thought about it... what's the point of grease and new bearings if its full of grit!

Comment

Portagepan, you must be an old sonofabitch, like me... Hard to think of Nam and friends who were lost there... I was in...but didn't deploy to Nam.. I feel fortunate to have served, but glad I did'nt get sent there.

Comment

Working...
                            X