Aftermarket advance weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket advance weights

I built a 74'' engine a couple of years back from parts and pieces I had and have about 5000 miles on the engine. I was just servicing my ignition prior to heading to the Creston Valley SHOVELFEST on Thursday am and found the advance weights were wearing the stud bosses in the nose cone, they are aftermarket weights like everything else nowadays so if anyone is having issues take a look at the pix below. It looks like I wasn't getting full advance. I'm gonna use a sanding drum on my dremel tool to clean cleanup the nose cone and make sure the weights open fully
    Pete:::::::::::;;;;;;;;;
    Attached Files

Pete it appears the advance stop roll pins, advance weight pivot point and pedestal pivot pin have all worn. They are actually advancing too far, thus contacting the timing plate bosses you have photo'd above.

That is what I have observed many times over the years...

Comment

Thanks Dukeleman
      This unit was new 5000 miles ago it was the one with the roller bearings. The stop pins were in good shape as was the hole for the stop pin. I will install a standard pin style and see if they open and contact the cone bosses.
      Pete::::::;;;;;;;;
      Last edited by Pete Engelman; 07-23-2024, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I was going to suggest the roller bearing style, but apparently they aren't any good now either.
        AMCA #41287
        1972 FX Boattail Night Train
        1972 Sportster project
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 99.25 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Pete,
          Ok, so your thinking it's a diameter issue as it attempts to go full advance. Got it now...
          That's a real shame the manufacturer would not test their product for something that simple.
          Please let us know what you find out.
          Thanks

Comment

I installed an old pin style advance unit. I opened the weights and they contacted the cam cover. I used my dremel tool with a sanding drum and cleaned the cover bosses. Installed it again and have ~0.030'' advanced clearance. It looks like my timing was not advancing fully. This could be an aftermarket cam cover. The clearance wouldn't be an issue as nearly everyone uses electronic ignition modules these days. I won't buy those roller type again.
            Pete::::::;;;;;;;

Comment

I quit using advance weight setup many years ago because of constant failures.After that all nosecones got singlefire Daytona Twin Tech electronic ign with VOES switch

Comment

I use advance units and springs from American Prime Mfg. I've never had a problem.

Comment

An aftermarket cam cover (OEM look alike version) would make sense as to having improper clearances... I've never seen anything good from them. They also have bushing centerline issues that cause other problems as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X