No announcement yet.

Gas tank(s) on an FXE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was sometimes (at least in my area) by HD employees at shops referred to as the Sprint tank as it looks and mounts just like the tanks on a Sprint.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Another query on the Superglide tank in 1983, does anybody know if this should be a bayonet style or a screw in style gas cap? It is right around the change over time.

Craig

Comment

parts books says 83- up ,means screw in,but you would need the correct '83 up FXE tank

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadFred1 View Post
          images.jpeg
          The 1 piece Super Glide tank is not a turtle tank
          This is a turtle tank. Early 60s sportster
          this is exactly right!
          the one piece tank these guys are talking about actually also came on some italian made harley dirt bikes.
          they are not turtle tanks.
          thank u Fred!

Comment

another issue. the original post shows the bike with the single gauge.
            FXEF would have a double tank mounted gauge set.

Comment

it also looks, and i cant quite tell, it has a wide glide from end.
              but you know, shovelheads are know as the mister potato head of motorcycles.
              meaning its rare to find a super glide that hasn't been played with over the decades.
              you really need to research the frame numbers to see what the bike was from the factory.
              i also would say the sprint style super glide tank is going to require cutting off the center console tank mount among other modifications.
              again, check the VIN to establish what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dablaze View Post
                I agree on the turtle tank not being the Superglude tank, I kind of knew this and still called it that…but I have been known to refer to pan/shovels on occasion too…

Craig
                LOL! even worse is people calling sportster tanks peanut tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by hacksaw01 View Post
                  i also would say the sprint style super glide tank is going to require cutting off the center console tank mount among other modifications.
                  OP, the superglide tank fits over the casting, that's where one of the rubber isolators fits. If you use the stock rear mount it fits over the rear mounting flanges too. Many people, including me, lower the back of the superglide tank for looks and that requires folding over the rear mounts.

DSCF2847.JPG
                  AMCA #41287
                  1972 Sportster project
                  1971 Sprint SS350 project
                  1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                  1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                  1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                  96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                  2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                  plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

obviously i didnt know that. how does that tank attach?

Comment

Working...
                    X