Gas tank(s) on an FXE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank(s) on an FXE

Well, another old shovel followed me home. (Pics to follow) It’s an ‘83 FXE and is a one owner bike. Sweet, clean, nice running bike. It originally had some things switched like a billet set of trees and lowers along with billet forward controls and a set of fishtails and a few other bolt on bits. Luckily I did some digging in my piles and have original 2into1, mid controls, a dual disk narrow glide and an original seat. It’s like this bike was meant to come to me, lol.

Here is my question. It does have 3.5 gallon dual tanks. Was this a configuration ever offered on the FXE? I always thought that they came with the single turtle style tank.

Also, what years of turtle tanks would be proper for an ‘83? It looks in pictures like there were slight mounting differences.

Thanks guys!
    Craig

Here’s a crappy pic
    Attached Files

Comment

'83 FXWG had dual disk front with raked trees & frame,21" front wheel, 2" longer forks & fat bob tanks/dash
      Last edited by duffeycycles; 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I have an 85 FWEF that has 3.5 fatbob tanks and came that way. I am the one and only owner and bought tit on Pearl Harbor Day. It was a factory custom color dark Brandwine and Magenta.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

I have an original 1981 FXB with 3.5's.
          DrSprocket

Comment

My friend bought one brand new and still has it. Yes, they have the dual 3.5 fuel tanks from the factory .

Duke

Comment

1971-1984 FX parts book shows turtle tank for '83 FXE.There were 3-1/2 gallon tanks used on other FX models.FXWG was 5 gallon

img448.jpg img449.jpg

Comment

An FXE had the single tank. FXEF models had 3 1/2 gallon tanks, as did the FXS and FXB models.
                vph-d

Comment

Thanks guys, I wish it was an FXWG but alas, it seems that a Turtle tank is in its future.

Duffy, thanks for the parts manual page, gives me a head start as my new manuals are waiting at my US post box which I will empty on the way to Oley.

Always appreciate all the help!
                  Craig

Comment

I like the superglide (turtle) tank, it shows off the motor and holds almost as much gas as the 3.5 gal dual tanks.
                    AMCA #41287
                    1971 Sprint SS350 project
                    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I am getting there Joe, lol!

Comment

images.jpeg
                        The 1 piece Super Glide tank is not a turtle tank
                        This is a turtle tank. Early 60s sportster

Comment

[QUOTE=vph-d;n323640]An FXE had the single tank. FXEF models had 3 1/2 gallon tanks, as did the FXS and FXB models.
                          vph-d[/QUOTE

I've always thought the same thing as above, FXE being single tank.

I have an '84 FXE and it's the single tank. I like the single tank, plenty of capacity and gives the bike a good look.

Comment

I agree on the turtle tank not being the Superglude tank, I kind of knew this and still called it that…but I have been known to refer to pan/shovels on occasion too…

Craig

Comment

Stupid Speel cheeker want let me change to Superglide…

Comment

Working...
                              X