'70 FLH transmission sprocket size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '70 FLH transmission sprocket size?

Hello, I know this is almost like asking about oil type...but. I have a new to me '70 shovel that is getting a full restoration, I've never ridden it. I don't remember all the specs of my '74 FLH that is still sitting in the back barn after a rough run with it being a daily driver, a sidecar rig in winter, ice racing, and trips all over the USA for 20 years. My '70 had a 22 transmission sprocket on it when I got it. I purchased a 23 to install before tranny installation. My buddies are suggesting a 24 tooth for higher top end, less vibration, engine RPM (noise) at speeds above 60 MPH. What are your experiences? I certainly don't want to pull the inner and outer primary to change it as its on the bench currently. In Wisconsin and at 68 years old I do not enjoy freeway riding at all. Still looking to run from Milwaukee to Eagle River on the highway for the Badger National Road Run this summer. We run State and County roads in WI mostly fairly flat (no mountains here!) and occasional freeway runs to get around larger cities. It has original footboards like my '57 and'48, which both have 23 tooth sprockets. I ride the Pans almost always but they do wear me out physically on long runs so I thought a rear fork and electric start is in my future. I have a 2010 FLHX for long trips but don't ride it much. Unlike the Pans, I'm going to install modern touring tires and expect to enjoy my long lost love of Shovelhead motorcycles. Sorry for the long Rant.
    PS I would almost always ride solo. I'm putting on a kick out front end and side hack mounts just in case I want to attach my '70 hack occasionally. I have one on my '87 Evo permanently. And now to the "State of the Union"

Thanks soooo much, Curly

22 was standard on all Big Twins regardless of configuration. The speedo drive is also calibrated to that ratio. The engine sprocket was used to change top end depending on use. I see most older H-Ds way over geared for their capabilities.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My opinion is change the engine comp sprocket to 24T and leave the trans at 22.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't even thought about checking the engine sprocket.

Comment

I have the 23 on several Pans and like the results. My 73 had a 24 on it for many years, I finally switched to a 23 and like it more.
          vph-d

Comment

For a few different reasons, I like the bigger tooth sprockets on the crankshaft as well.

Comment

A 24 on the transmission could lead to the chain rubbing on the inner primary and starter adapter, especially when loaded.
              AMCA #41287
              1971 Sprint SS350 project
              1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Joe, They make an aftermarket piece that attaches to that area to stop the wear or.to wear instead of the aluminum. Made of teflpn or some type of plastic. I used it on my 67.
                DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                  Joe, They make an aftermarket piece that attaches to that area to stop the wear or.to wear instead of the aluminum. Made of teflpn or some type of plastic. I used it on my 67.
                  Yes, good point, I made one from a strip of metal. I just wanted the OP to know.
                  AMCA #41287
                  1971 Sprint SS350 project
                  1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                  1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                  1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                  96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                  2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                  plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I just built up (with weld) the inner primary from running the rear chain too loose I figured. I'm sticking to a 23, not in a race nor big hurry any more. Thank you for you all your knowledge

Curly

Comment

Working...
                    X