1968 FLH unique features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 FLH unique features?

So I have finally purchased a very old, dear friends 1968 FLH. He built it into a rigid custom years ago but we have talked for years about a resto. Now it’s up to me. I have a 68 frame, front end, outer primary, tanks and now an engine. I have oodles of shovel parts. What I am wondering is what would be specifically unique to a 68 FLH shovel. I like to make things as original as possible. Please dont tell me to “just ride it.” I’ve got several shovel “riders” already.

thanks
    Craig
    Attached Files

1968 Big twins.jpg 1968 Big twins 2.jpg 1968 Big twins 3.jpg 1968 FL brochure.jpg
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you Robbie! That’s a great start! I have a ton of boxes of Shovel parts, just want to make sure I pick out the stuff that’s correct!

Craig

Comment

The '68 parts book is a good one to have Craig. I have some more '68 stuff. Here is more of the brochure. The last post had the cover.
        1968 FL brochure 2.jpg 1968 FL brochure 3.jpg 1968 FL brochure 4.jpg
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Also 1st year no mouse trap.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
            Also 1st year no mouse trap.
            And the new speedo face, replacing the "tombstone" style that was on '62 to '67. And the new cast dash cover. That cover, also known as the 5 light cover, had the directional signal lights incorporated in the dash, not on the back of the nacelle assembly. Not too sure about this, but there was one indicator light that remained on the right rear of the nacelle assembly to indicate high beam, but maybe that was there before '68. The rear tail light red lens is a bit of a mystery. I heard a tale regarding whether the lens was flat, like from '55 up, or if it was extended. The part number on the extended lens is -68. but some say it wasn't installed on bikes until '69. The story I heard was that Fisher Body, the lamp vendor, went on strike, causing a shortage of tail lamp assemblies. As a result, the factory sent notices to dealers asking them to return any tail lamps or parts they had in stock, and '68 models were assembled one of four ways. They could come with a -55 housing and a flat lens, a -68 housing and a flat lens, or either housing with the extended lens. This may all be BS. I'm just puttin' it out there.

Comment

Cool and interesting stuff to know for sure, makes me want to start digging through boxes to see what I have!

thanks
              Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post

And the new speedo face, replacing the "tombstone" style that was on '62 to '67. And the new cast dash cover. That cover, also known as the 5 light cover, had the directional signal lights incorporated in the dash, not on the back of the nacelle assembly. Not too sure about this, but there was one indicator light that remained on the right rear of the nacelle assembly to indicate high beam, but maybe that was there before '68. The rear tail light red lens is a bit of a mystery. I heard a tale regarding whether the lens was flat, like from '55 up, or if it was extended. The part number on the extended lens is -68. but some say it wasn't installed on bikes until '69. The story I heard was that Fisher Body, the lamp vendor, went on strike, causing a shortage of tail lamp assemblies. As a result, the factory sent notices to dealers asking them to return any tail lamps or parts they had in stock, and '68 models were assembled one of four ways. They could come with a -55 housing and a flat lens, a -68 housing and a flat lens, or either housing with the extended lens. This may all be BS. I'm just puttin' it out there.
                I'm still looking for the mirrors that are shown in the above pic. I think this was the last year for round mirrors, but they were obviously different. The stems were threaded and bent, and the mirror assembly had an Allen head set screw to hold it on the stem. I'm also curious about the gas caps. Every restoration, and even a couple of original paint bikes that I have looked at all had the -72 gas caps on them. They were the ones that were bigger in diameter than previous caps, had real thin ends on them with straight knurls. I'm looking for whatever actually went on there. Guessing that they looked like a standard cap that went on '65's, with the left bayonet being different from the right. Would appreciate any info on either of these parts.

Comment

I'm also curious about the gas caps. Every restoration, and even a couple of original paint bikes that I have looked at all had the -72 gas caps on them. They were the ones that were bigger in diameter than previous caps, had real thin ends on them with straight knurls. I'm looking for whatever actually went on there. Guessing that they looked like a standard cap that went on '65's, with the left bayonet being different from the right. Would appreciate any info on either of these parts.
                  On my '69 FL which I believe is correct, if not tell me. 2.55 dia, top height minus bayonet about 11/16".
                  DSC06913.JPG
                  DSC06914.JPG

Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by Dablaze View Post
                    I like to make things as original as possible.

Just out of curiosity, is the frame consistent with the engine SN? Or is that not a concern? As you probably know a gusset was added to the left side of the frame at some stage during the 68 model year but I don’t know exactly when it happened as far as the engine SN is concerned and I’m not certain what month they started adding the gusset at the factory. The best I can do from my H-D catalogs is that the gusset was originally present as of mid/later-68 models.

A similar question relates to ID of/on the lower triple clamp. Is it consistent with 68 or not a concern? Thanks.
                    Eric

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

On my '69 FL which I believe is correct, if not tell me. 2.55 dia, top height minus bayonet about 11/16".
                      DSC06913.JPG
                      DSC06914.JPG

That's what I guessed the cap should look like.
                      Last edited by Omarttentmaker; 10-03-2023, 10:05 AM.

Comment

IMG_1215.jpg
                        Not like this

Comment

IMG_1215.jpg
                          Not like this
                          As far as I know the right cap is the same as earlier pan style only the left is as I show.
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post

As far as I know the right cap is the same as earlier pan style only the left is as I show.
                            I think yours is correct. The only difference would be the length of the bayonet. The short one goes on the right tank, the long one on the left.

Comment

Eric, I will have to check the frame vs Vin next week when I am back in the shop, heading out to visit Mom for Canadian thanksging.

thanks
                              craig

Comment

Working...
                              X