Clutch issue 76 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch issue 76 FLH

I'm having an issue with my clutch slipping when I accelerate hard especially in 3rd or 4th gear. I have replaced the friction plates (organic),steel discs, and put the 52 bearing kit in to replace the factory bearings. Have adjusted the clutch as follows: took all tension off the lever then adjusted the screw to just touching on throw out bearing then backed off 1/2 turn and locked it down. Then adjusted lever to 1/8 in play. I have done this 3 times but the clutch still slips. Also adjusted pressure plate to 1 in. After installing new springs. Still slips
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Originally posted by OWG View Post
    I'm having an issue with my clutch slipping when I accelerate hard especially in 3rd or 4th gear. I have replaced the friction plates (organic),steel discs, and put the 52 bearing kit in to replace the factory bearings. Have adjusted the clutch as follows: took all tension off the lever then adjusted the screw to just touching on throw out bearing then backed off 1/2 turn and locked it down. Then adjusted lever to 1/8 in play. I have done this 3 times but the clutch still slips. Also adjusted pressure plate to 1 in. After installing new springs. Still slips
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I think that the 1" spring adjustment is really a recommended starting point. I would try tightening the spring one click and see if that helps. I have to admit however that usually the factory 1" is good enough - some books say 15/16".

Comment

Thanks Jerry, Forgot to mention that it is a big bore motor if that makes a difference.

Comment

IDK about the FLH clutch, but for the FX clutch you have to set the cable to get the clutch arm about 1/2" from the starter. Try that first then re-adjust. It may not help, so then go with a half turn tighter on the clutch nuts. You may need stiffer (non-stock) springs if your pushing a lot of torque thru the clutch, whereupon the clutch arm adjustment will help with lever effort.
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Do you have the original type pressure plate or the aftermarket aluminum type. I had this same problem with aftermarket aluminum type. Some of the aftermarket require different adjustment at the pressure plate then manual shows for oem type. My clutch would slip when under load then engage suddenly.

Comment

Put a BDL competitor clutch in it and say goodby to the slipping clutch on your big inch motor.
            Carl
            http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

I'm with Carl,
              when it comes to the original design and the increase in torque you are likely making now, you are best off updating to a replacement unit made by many companies like BDL, API, Barnett, Rivera Primo, etc...some of these mentioned use coil spring yet while others use diaphragm. Regardless your clutch will work and perform as required.

Comment

I agree with Carl & Dukekleman.The diaphram units can be a little tricky to setup on '52-'67 mousetrap bikes,but work great once setup.
                The '70-'77 service manual shows 1-1/32" for stock setup.
                Last edited by duffeycycles; 08-23-2023, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks, y'all have been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                  X