1971 FX Super glide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 FX Super glide

I have a 1971 FX Super glide that I have owned for about 15 years. Its been really fun bike to own and ride but its time to move on. Not really sure the best way to sell it. Concerned that the local Craigs List wont provide a large enough exposure. Thought about E bay but don't know how to arrange transport to the new buyer. Maybe Mecum motorcycle auction?

Anyone here have any experience selling a somewhat unusual bike?

Thanks
    Terry
    AMCA #5486

Just a thought Terry but you could post it here:

"Classified Ads

AMCA members that have registered to use this community forum can list free classified ads here. Please email a copy to our Ads Manager at ads@antiquemotorcycle.org with your membership number, so that it will be included in the magazine also."

Pictures Please

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      AMCA #5486

Comment

I have many more pictures if anyone is interested. I wasn't aware that there is a "classified ad" section

Terry
        AMCA #5486

Comment

My experience,this is a horrible selling platform.Not a fan of FB Marketplace either unless buyer comes & pays cash.

Comment

duffycycles,
            any suggestions on where and how to market this bike. I'm an experienced buyer but not so much a Seller.

Thank You,
            Terry

AMCA #5486

Comment

The problem with this site or a shovel site is everybody is an "expert" & will lowball your sale or just tell you it's too much.Different prices in different parts of the world.Marketplace/Paypal wants the customer to recieve the goods before you get your money.Biggest swaps like Davenport are the best for exposure to big $ buyers.Ebay gets huge worldwide audience & fees for titled complete vehicles are not too bad.Take great pictures & pay for extras.Make sure buyer supplies shipping.I have had a bike draw a big bid on ebay & buyer strung it out beyond ebays limit to screw him back.In my case they looked & he had done it before & cut him out.The bike was resold on ebay & brought the same price with a happy paying buyer.

Comment

Bring a Trailer seems to get top dollar for unique cars and bikes, you may want to look into that.
                AMCA #41287
                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Joe fxs fxr,
                  Just learned about Bring a Trailer. I'm checking it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Terry
                  AMCA #5486

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                    The problem with this site or a shovel site is everybody is an "expert" & will lowball your sale or just tell you it's too much.Different prices in different parts of the world.Marketplace/Paypal wants the customer to recieve the goods before you get your money.Biggest swaps like Davenport are the best for exposure to big $ buyers.Ebay gets huge worldwide audience & fees for titled complete vehicles are not too bad.Take great pictures & pay for extras.Make sure buyer supplies shipping.I have had a bike draw a big bid on ebay & buyer strung it out beyond ebays limit to screw him back.In my case they looked & he had done it before & cut him out.The bike was resold on ebay & brought the same price with a happy paying buyer.
                    Dufffey, did you have to pay income tax on that bike sale because now ebay has to issue a 1099 for sales totaling greater than $600? i'm asking because prior to the 1099-era i sold a few bikes, didn't have to pay tax, but now i don't know...
                    Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                    https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Wasn't yesterday Steve.I have paid income tax on many vehicles sold if I made a profit,Ebay or not.

Comment

Joe fxs fxr,
                        I checked out Bring a Trailer (BaT) and the reviews aren't very good. Rated very poorly 1 out of 5 up to 2 out of 5 stars. lots of poor customer service complaints. Now leaning toward E bay or Mecum
                        Wide open to in put and suggestions.

Terry
                        AMCA #5486

Comment

Hello Terry, for what it's worth, i'd stick the Glide on the AMCA Forum & monthly magazine Classified, Craigs List & Facebook Market place first. Everyone has complaints about any site that offer free classified, but i had great results with all three, only if You follow some guidelines. On Facebook, the buyer communicates via Messenger, and Craigs ads will respond to the Craigs given email. But, i put my cell phone # and request no texting. When the interested respond via Messenger eMail, or Craigs eMail, you must specify a phone transaction only, or all their emails will politely be avoided. You'd be surprised how many time wasters this will eliminate! Sometimes a pest will still have your phone #, but You can always block them. The Great thing about these ads is that You can delete them at any time, so what do You have to lose? If your ad has zero results, then there is always eBaY. I don't use Pay Pal anymore, so You can specify or request other payments. On the Craigs Listing, when setting up an ad, you can always set the ad up for many cities nearby your location.

Also, i've noticed many Boat Tail Glides over the past year that have been advertised on eBaY, and they have done quite well, especially the closer to stock motorcycles. And, when advertising your Motorcycle, always take the time to list as much information as you can to avoid all the tire kickers. The seller never pays or arranges a shipment, and most hauling companies are painless for You~the seller. They will do all of the work. Keep in mind, shipping cost have elevated since the...'Pandemic'. A single draft can be transferred to all the different ads You are running, so you just have to make the first draft count. Another issue, make sure that You take better pictures than the ones you've presently listed here. Pictures always make a huge difference in selling points, especially well placed shots. Look at other motorcycle ad pictures that strike You as excellent & then just duplicate them.

Hope this helps Terry & Good Luck.

*M.A.D.*
                          Last edited by JoJo357; 06-12-2023, 03:57 AM.

Comment

JoJo357,
                            Thank you for the information. I will follow your advise

Terry
                            AMCA #5486

Comment

Terry, I would look deeply into the fact that you may be taxed on Ebay and not on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X