Shovelhead Power Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovelhead Power Unit

I just picked up a 1973 shovelhead engine, 3R trans in a frame with a complete primary that has a shaft coming out of the primary that is connected to the engine sprocket, that is connect to a huge fan for cooling. This setup was used as a power unit in a homemade paddle wheel boat that powered the boat down the Ohio River and down the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico. The trip is well documented with pictures of the unit in the boat and of the trip. My question is, what should I do with it? It turns over and has compression. Thank you!

it also has a Linkard carb on it.

ps: Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, will get better ones soon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ryan; 10-09-2022, 12:44 PM.

Originally posted by ryan View Post
    ..it also has a Linkard carb on it....
    That makes it collectible, Ryan!

My first concerns would be the paperwork, including both motor and headstock VINs (and the tranny #s too...)

Can't wait for the pics...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-09-2022, 03:11 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      My first concerns would be the paperwork, including both motor and headstock VINs (and the tranny #s too...)
      Cotten, It came with a title. The engine was rebuilt before the trip and has hardened exhaust seats. I am not sure about turning it back into a riding motorcycle, or leave it the way it is???
      ​​​
      Last edited by ryan; 10-09-2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        ... I am not sure about turning it back into a riding motorcycle, or leave it the way it is???
        ​​​
        If you built a boat out of it, Ryan...

It would just scare the fish.

(Hereabouts, they jump out of the water and hit you.)

Can't wait to see pics!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

"My question is, what should I do with it?"

The Fan???

GREAT FIND Ryan!
          Unless you need/want a 1200cc boat . . . just my 2 cents but I would get it back up on 2 wheels and on the road.
          From the above your paperwork is in order so that is a giant hurdle you have in pocket.

I'm just trying to imagine a paint scheme to honor its time as a paddle wheel boat. . .
          Maybe christen this one "Old Man River" or "Showboat"

Comment

I have to copy the pictures of boat and it's electrics as well, it had a factory Harley engine powered ww2 generator and a factory Indian Prince engine powered military generator as backup. He also took 2 nos Harley military 45ci engines for backup engines.

The shovelhead engine is 93 cubic inches, he said Dixie use to sell the 93ci kits. He also thru in an early hydra glide front-end which he called by another name, 2 star hub 18" wheels, a round swing arm, brake drums, a nickel coated brass 2 sided wheel cover and I also got two 19" aluminum rims.
            I have no intentions of using it as a boat engine, but may use it to run the ice cream maker. Lol

I would say, Old Man River
            Last edited by ryan; 10-10-2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

The title is useless without the chassis. The titled vin goes to the chassis, not the motor, after 1969.

You “could” claim you had to replace a destroyed chassis and stamp a new chassis and fill out the paperwork. But. You WILL lose your scooter if that original frame shows up and you WILL be charged with fraud because restamping paperwork comes with an affidavit that you destroyed the original number.

in other words you can put this in another legal chassis, or a boat.

Comment

Chuck;
                Totally agree but, take a look at that second photo; looks like the unit is in the frame/chassis (Is that the neck to the right?) I hope Ryan posts some more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                  Chuck;
                  Totally agree but, take a look at that second photo; looks like the unit is in the frame/chassis (Is that the neck to the right?) I hope Ryan posts some more pictures.

until the OP shares more . . we are all grasping at straws.

I posted that simply because so many people believe if the title matches the motor they are good to go.

Comment

The engine and trans is in the frame, the engine and frame numbers match and I have the title. The frame is not hurt nor chopped on, all brackets were made to fit the frame, like the fan mount, hand shifter etc. Again, sorry the pictures suck, I will take better pictures in the light. I am out of town at the moment.

So what would I have to do, number wise, if I decided to use the engine in a rigid frame or chopper? I surely do not want to swap out the neck nor chop the original frame.

ps: Yes, the neck is to the right in the 2nd picture.

​​​​​​
                    ​​​​​​
                    Last edited by ryan; 10-10-2022, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Ryan;
                      As you have an unmolested frame if you want a rigid or chopper; I would consider finding a stock 1973 swingarm and use rigid struts (but then I'm cheap) and that way if you want shocks
                      at some point in the future easy change. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

For what I paid for this and the extra parts, I could just hang it from the ceiling. I already run two other shovelheads, a 1969 FLH/sidecar and a 1977 FLH Confederate edition. I also have enough parts to build a rigid frame bobber/chopper that I wanted to power with a electric start generator engine to go with my 4 speeds, but this thing just happened to fall into my lap, although I would not want to use the 3R trans.

I am truly up in the air on what I want to do with it, meaning how I want use it???
                        Last edited by ryan; 10-11-2022, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Legally, you can’t just move the motor and keep the 73 oem vin. It would be a new construction and titled as such. Not really a big deal for most guys into chops.

There are other ways, but all involve destroying the original or lying and saying you destroyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                            Legally, you can’t just move the motor and keep the 73 oem vin. It would be a new construction and titled as such. Not really a big deal for most guys into chops.

There are other ways, but all involve destroying the original or lying and saying you destroyed it.
                            This makes me want to stay with 1969 and below bikes. So if I want to build a rigid frame chopper, I have to chop the frame, gut the transmission and use the original case to convert to a 4 speed or use the engine as parts to build a generator engine with papers. Lastly, if I put it back to a stock bike, it will not have the value to buy the parts I put it together with and here lies the whole dilemma. I had better just think this over for bit.

Comment

You are over-thinking it, Ryan!

Let's see some pics of this pile o' parts, please.

(I mean the Linkard of course.)

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X