66 FLH Buddy Seat Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 FLH Buddy Seat Help

Have a 66FLH that is mostly stock. Want to mount a buddy seat to have my wife take a ride with me. Ordered a set on NOS helper springs and have a few questions.

-The lower frame tabs that came with the bike have a lever that rotates out of the way to unlock the lower part of the spring to allow the seat to be lifted.
    the springs that I have are configured for a different style tab that came with the kit. Which lower mount is correct?
    -If the type of tab with the pivoting lock is correct. What type of hardware belongs on the lower spring to allow it to be captured and locked by the tab? I don't have a book that shows this.
    -The kit also contained two tabs that I have in the pictures....Spring clips? Do they belong on this year? Where do they get mounted?

Any help of pictures appreciated!

Thanks, Ed
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Congratulations, Ed!

Your first pic shows the coveted one-year-only '65 retainers.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-10-2022, 10:16 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Ed, you are experiencing a case of H-D updating a part but using the original part number for it. Consequently you also need the correctly mating lower connection to fit that spring assembly. What year part book are you looking at?
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

What you are needing are these, which are 65 parts. The alternative is to update your mating lower connection to fit the assembly you purchased like Rubone indicated.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The clips you are referring to #35 in the picture, bolt under the seat and serve to hold the spring assembly when the springs are not in use, or solo riding.

Comment

Gents,Thanks for the info and photo!
            -So I have 65 retainers, would these be correct for 66?
            -I was using aftermarket reprints of multi year parts manuals, I don't have an original that you;d start with 66.
            -That being said, anyone know the part # for the hardware that would go with the 65 retainer. Is it unobtanium??
            -Or do I need 65 springs that have the correct bottoms?
            -This is not a judged machine, but mostly stock,OP machine that I would like to keep correct. All advice appreciated.
            Ed

Comment

According to my parts manual, the T bolt/screw in the photo I posted is 52607-65, used through '67. You might have to buy another spring assembly to get that screw but nothing surprises me. If you look on ebay under buddy springs or attend AMCA swap meets you will find what you need. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                X