Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLH Mechanical Tach

Hi All
    I have a new to me 66 ish Police bike. It has a mechanical tach with Harley logo and distributor drive. I have never seen one. Is the Tach body Sportster? Aeromacci? Big twin? It needs a cable and possible rebuild. Any idea on part numbers? Any parts available out there? Who might rebuild it if needed?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

As it says on it, the maker is Smiths. It is a magnetic instrument from England. H-D used them for many years as an accessory as well as OEM on Sportster models. One of the major US service providers for Smiths is Nisonger Instruments. The glass and bezel are common to most British motorcycles of the 60s.
    https://nisonger.com/
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Guess I never noticed a tach on an FLH... I certainly will investigate more.. I wonder if the cable has an HD part number or maybe Nisonger can make me one... Length and routing is going to be the question... Rubone, Do you know of anyone making or has OEM volume controls for receive only radios?

Comment

Originally posted by Bsick View Post
        Guess I never noticed a tach on an FLH... I certainly will investigate more.. I wonder if the cable has an HD part number or maybe Nisonger can make me one... Length and routing is going to be the question... Rubone, Do you know of anyone making or has OEM volume controls for receive only radios?
        The part numbers are in the parts books of the era. The tach kit was an accessory item and appears in the accessory catalogs.
        As for radio controls I have never seen one out there. I acquired mine over 20 years ago and had looked for a good ten before then.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The part # is 92062-65. The cables are non-existent. The other parts such as the ones you already possess show up time and again. That should tell you something. Perhaps get several cores made. Good luck.

Comment

Heres the core. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16510595699...3ABFBMwrS5sftf

Comment

Here it is on my 68 FLH, John Bordas repairs them.

IMG_20220108_140648736.jpg
              Last edited by murph; 04-01-2022, 07:42 AM.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

Thanks for the reply!!! Any chance I can get a length on the cable? I will surely ask John if he has or can make them....

Comment

Originally posted by murph View Post
                  Here it is on my 68 FLH, John Bordas repairs them.

IMG_20220108_140648736.jpg
                  Does your headlight bucket have a hole in it to run the cable through, I was told no hole needed to be drilled??? You have the correct tach for the FL. I bought a new cable for mine a couple of years ago, I just ordered the factory part number and two styles were available, the plastic sheathed and the metal casing.
                  I just had a speedometer restored by John Borda and I asked him about looking at my tach and he told me he could clean the inside assy, clean or replace the glass and glass retainer.

Comment

I have measured the cable on my tacho , the outer is 29 inches and the inner is 29 3/4 in . I think a hole would have to drilled thru the headlight nacelle , as the cable exits the tach straight towards the headlight

Comment

I bet that Stan at vintage Rust can make one for you.20190712_112357 (1).jpg
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The replacement bearing part number for the timer tachometer drive is: NICE 1601 DC
                        Last edited by ryan; 09-11-2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X