Oil in intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in intake manifold

Shovel has oil puddling in intake manifold More towards the front head After running on the hi way more than lower speeds Top end was done a couple of years ago
    Thinking oil pump is'nt scavenging enough Noticed breather screen bore is pretty scored Can't think of anything else that would push oil into the intake Any suggestions Thanks

Wayne Shovels are bottom breathers as are early EVO's. I doubt a scored breather would create puddles in the intake. The breather should be addressed though. I would think with puddles in the intake it would also be blowing blue out the exhaust. Since you have specifically identified it as toward the front head there in lies the problem. Maybe oil is not returning properly from the front head. Maybe even over oiling from the pump. Stock oil pump?

Comment

Or leaking head gasket

Comment

The nearest source of oil, Folks,...

Would be the intake valve guides; Under vacuum from the motor, it can be drawn past excessive stem clearance, but occasionally callous guide removal and replacement scores the bore in the head to where oil can pass the outside of the guide.

Just another possibility... ..

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks guys Yeah she blows smoke out of the front pipe quite heavily after a highway run To reiterate top end was done a couple of years ago including heads rebuilt I even tried a different front head using james head gaskets It has a Sifton oil pump on it Will try a S&S pump in the Spring

Comment

It could also be a hairball in the cylinder drain, Wayne!

Oil pumps don't know there are two cylinders.

.....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-03-2021, 10:30 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

HA I hear ya Cotten! One of the first things I checked for There is "some" oil towards the rear but like I said but its heaviest in the front It will soak the plug in about 100 miles This one has me stumped for sure

Comment

Possibility, oil pumping past the rings...

Comment

Top end was done a couple of years ago Cylinder is dry on top of piston Thanks

Comment

The plug and the piston, Wayne,...

Occupy the same combustion chamber. The piston must be cleaning itself better.

The pump feeds the rear cylinder first, so let's stop blaming the pump (even if it IS a Tedd's "Sifton"!)

If it works at all,.. it ain't the issue.

....Cotten
                    PS: Please consider, Folks,...

Getting raw oil upstream from the combustion chamber to the manifold would take a helluva lot of reversion. Does the oil look cooked or clean, Wayne?
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-03-2021, 12:50 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I concur to push oil back upstream would be a hell of a lot of pressure Even if it is Tedds pump HA!! The oil sitting in the manifold is clean I was going to send you a picture with the oil sitting on top of the intake valve but unfortunetly it has been deleted

Comment

My conjecture, Wayne,..

...Is that oil from deep in the combustion chamber would show it.

Whereas oil sucked backwards from the intake valve guide (or around it) wouldn't be as burnt.

Reversion can be quite significant (especially if you have a long duration cam. Kitabel can give a much better assessment of that than I..)

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-03-2021, 04:30 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Hi Wayne , I had a lot of problems with my '71 FLH . Check out " Oil Pump Screen " in this forum ( I think page 6 ) , Maybe you'll find something there .

Comment

What year is your shovel ? 1981 had a service bulletin on top end oiling problem . I have it if this is your year .

Comment

Hi Forgive me for not checking on this in so long Winter came and I totally gave up on this problem If you still have access to this bulletin I would appreciate it Any information is always good

Comment

Working...
                              X