1982 FXR Optional Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 FXR Optional Equipment

I'm working on a restoration of my 1982 Harley FXR. This is the base model, not the FXRS. I bought the bike from the second owner and it has a few items that I'm not sure were factory options or dealer add-ons. Would it matter to a judge?

In particular, it had highway footpegs and I want to add a short sissy bar and pad. Would a judge deduct if those items were installed?

Thanks, Joe

ps, here is how it looked when I bought it, with a tall sissy bar, aftermarket pipes and carburetor.

IMG_0869.JPG

AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Accessories, as long as they don't replace an original part, are not judged.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Awesome! They will make the bike more enjoyable to ride. I hope to be at Terryville next year. Thanks
      Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 10-08-2021, 08:52 AM.
      AMCA #41287

Comment

Hi Joe, I too have an ‘82 which I am trying to make as original as possible. A lot of factory ads show a sissy bar. The exhaust was a 2 into one into 2 (a crossover under the carb) the exhaust shield for the crossover is a hard part to find. There is also a cool little 1982 eagle emblem that goes on the front fender.

One question, how do the turn signals work on yours, on mine you have to hold the button down through the turn. It feels like a bad TSM, but I have read a few places that this is correctboperation for ‘82. Seems awkward.

Craig

Comment

Hello, Dablaze nice to know someone else appreciates the 82 FXR as I do. All Harley turn signals required you to hold the button to keep them blinking, until the modern electronic bikes which introduced the TSM. That's why you never saw a Harley going down the road with the signals blinking. I usually let it go when I start turning.

As far as the crossover heat shield, I got a NOS one from a guy on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/str/dscycleconnection He's been good to me with a few hard to find items. He doesn't have one now, but here's one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274900276729

I am looking for the heat shield near the front muffler, may have to rechrome the old one. There are a couple of scratched up ones on eBay now

Most of the ads I've seen show a FXRS, the upscale model, which includes a sissy bar, highway pegs, and pinstriped tank. The base model FXR didn't include such items, but could be dealer-installed.
          AMCA #41287

Comment

Joe, yes you are correct…it was the RS model I had seen the sissy bar on. I have my exhaust already, was just suggesting that you keep your eye out for the cross over in case you didn’t. Tonight I reset up the coil and plugs back to stock look on mine. Coil was on backwards from the PO.

stay in touch!
            craig

Comment

Working...
            X